Chapter 10.3 | Argument's Sake

Wellston Private Highschool- Courtyard

After school

Remi PoV

What could John want to tell me about? I made my way down the paved path in the grass leading to the boys' dorms. Privately too...

It was weird and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't anxious. Given our history, I was intimidated by him. I knew he could easily crush me if he felt like it!

But, from what I've been seeing recently, he changed. I noticed John had began to take a more peaceful approach to solving conflicts, which surprised me, but also gave me hope. If he leads us like this, maybe this school could have a better future.

I exhaled, calming myself as I entered the building. I recalled the way to John's dorm easily. It was the laser-boy's dorm as well :3

Speaking of, I asked the troublesome duo to amuse themselves without me for a while, specifically telling them to steer clear of Blyke's place. Isen really didn't mind staying away from that particular dorm but the other idiot was worried that he'd miss dinner -_-

After climbing up to the third floor, I trudged down the hall. Passing a couple of other students on the way. Stopping but the door, I cleared my throat and shook off any stress. I knocked, holding my breath as I waited for John to open the it.

On the other side, I heard a sequence of thuds and tumbles. I stepped forward, listening in.

"Crap! That's Blyke's!", John exclaimed, muffled by the wood, "Pick it up, quickly!"

Someone else is here?

"Ugh, you're the one who knocked it over." It was Seraphina

"Shhh-I'm at the door now!", and just like that, the door swung open, as my eyes met the boy's, " Hey Remi. I'm glad you came. ", he smiled faintly, stepping aside to let me in.

" Thanks. Now, what did you want to- what happened here?!", I was dumbstruck. The living room was a mess!

The couch and coffee table were completely misplaced and the rug was tossed to the side and folded over. Next to the couch was Seraphina. She had a so-done look on her face while holding a bowl and Blyke's Dragonball Z action figure.

"I-I'd rather not talk about it.", John said.

" Luckily I'm here.", the girl said to me, "We were going to eat M&Ms but then the doofus next to you dropped the open bag."

"Sera, I know you're salty at me but -", John began

"And then, we spent the next 15 minutes chasing the M&Ms around the room. John had to move the furniture.", she placed the items down, crossing her arms instead. " At first he refused and insisted on crawling under it... Resulting in the sofa falling over onto its side!" She chuckled

"Ha ha. Laugh all you want, but you were under that sofa with me!", John accused the girl, " You can't just pin me as 'the one stupid guy'."

"Are you suggesting I am also stupid?" She teased, cocking her head to the side.

"N-no, I didn't say t-that...", John deflected poorly

" That's what I thought. "

Then, both of them seemed to remember that they weren't alone, leading to an awkward silence. After a couple of seconds, I asked, "Do you guys need any help putting the room in order?"

"Na, I got it.", John cracked his knuckles and activated his ability. Pacing over, he stopped and bent over next to the couch, grabbing it.

He paused and looked at Seraphina, "If you could-"

She cut him off, "ugh I could have just done it.", then her eyes glowed a vibrant blue!

What she has her ability back?!

Suddenly, everything was back in it's original place. The girl was sitting on the sofa, tapping on her phone while John stood in the kitchenette, putting the bowl into a cupboard. " Thanks that made it a lot easier. " he said to his friend.

She nodded, not looking up from her phone.

I asked, "When did you get your ability back?!"

She hesitantly looked up at me then to the boy who was walking towards me, as if for reassurance.

John offered for me so sit with Seraphina, to which I agreed. I sat down, looking up at the boy standing in front of us.

"Alright," he said, clapping his hands together, "Sera got kidnapped by EMBER with the promise to get her ability back."

"EMBER?!", I gasped my ryes widening

" Yes, then I followed, trying to rescue her-"

"FoLlOwEd? You chased after the van like a maniac!", Seraphina interjected, covering her giggle with her hand.

I saw John blush slightly but he continued on, " Y-yeah. Anyway, we both got captured. And if it wasn't for Sera's sister who double crossed the organisation it would have stayed that way. She gave Sera her ability back." He took a breath thinking about what he could next, "Then of course we escaped. But the important part is, EMBER and the authorities are working together."

"So we were right...", I muttered to myself.

" Wait.", Seraphina said to me, "What do you mean, you were right?"

I froze, feeling the intensity of both of the god teirs' focus. Crap! What do I say?! I wanted to tell them the truth about X-Rei, but I am knew that it could be dangerous. I bit my lip, continuing to weigh my options. But isn't keeping what I know a secret more dangerous?

Taking a slow, deep breath, I said, "We already thought so. Blyke, Isen and I made it our mission to find EMBER at one point and while researching, we came to the same conclusion."

John raised his eyebrows and nodded, also giving the girl next to me a knowing glance. Then he asked me, "Remi you wouldn't happen do be a superhero would you?"

John POV

I awaited her answer, surprised by the possibility of my earlier hunch being accurate.

Remi pursed her lips, glancing at the floor. "Yes.", she admitted, " Yes I am."

Sera looked at me, sending me a small smile. Oh no...

"In that case, would you like to work with us?", she asked the other girl.

Remi met her gaze, unsure whether she was serious or not. " What? Are you two vigilantes as well?"

I pressed my fingers against my brow, massaging it, "The more you know, right? Who would have thought?"