Chapter 4.2 | Fool

Wellston Girls Dormitories- Saturday 9:00am

Sera PoV

Jolting me from my sleep, the alarm clock repeated it’s daily shriek. Slowly, I turned the dam*d thing off. I would have done so much faster, but I was exhausted. Having only gotten two hours of sleep, I was barely functioning. I spent half the night trying to escape my lingering concerns about John. Will he snap again?

Over the past two days he seemed to be doing perfectly fine, the revenette acted almost exactly like he had since we met. John had returned to his carefree, go-lucky attitude for the most part. But it must be fake.

To the untrained eye, John looked fine, just being his dim, clumsy self. Yet I could see it was a facade. The way he talks and reacts, it's all superficial! Often, when he thinks I’m not looking, I catch glimpses of anger or sadness expressed on his face, but as soon as I turn fully, there's a wide smile on that mask. 

Why doesn’t he let me see? Why doesn’t he want me to meet...well...him!- 

I sat up in my bed dynamically as a chill made the hairs on my neck stand. I subconsciously stroked my throat, the sensation of his grip around it still fresh in my mind. Was that him, his true self? It couldn’t be… 

Once again, grew uncertain. I didn’t know what to think. This is so toxic! I placed my hand on my forehead. This doesn’t make sense. I can’t lie to myself. I can’t lie to him! Tears welled in my eyes. Neither of us trust each other, we’re repeating past mistakes…

This friendship stopped being functional the moment Remi took off Joker’s mask.

I chuckled, As if it ever was.

I hugged my legs tightly, making sure Elaine wouldn’t hear. She would most definitely be up and about by now. I’m going to tell him. He has to know. We can’t continue like this-

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK

I heard a rhythmic pounding on my front door. No way I’m getting up to open that!

“Elaine! Can you get that?!”, I called out. After a moment, there was no answer from the bluette. The knocking continued. “Elaine?!”, I yelled again. No answer.

Reluctantly, I dragged myself out of bed and walked out of my room, draping my duvet over my bare shoulders. 

KNOCKKNOCKKNOCKKNOCK

The awful noise became louder and more impatient. I could relate. “I’M COMING!!!”I screamed in the direction of the source of the incessant racket. The banging stopped and I opened the door, muttering curses under my breath. 

Through the widening crevice, I could make out a fairly tall figure. He held a bouquet of red, white and pink carnations. Eh?

Muddled, I looked up to find the identity of this un-fulfilled Romeo. My eyes widened as I was met my by a pair of gold eyes on a backdrop of midnight locks. EH?!@!?

“Hey, Sera!”John grinned, showing off his teeth. “How’s your morning been?”

I stood there, dumbfounded. DSasdfBVFNXBGaSKJFsLJ!!qww!@!!!! VAT?!!!?  

“Um...Sera?”, he waved his free hand in front of my face. “You don’t look ok. Do you need to lie down? Are you sick?!”, He inquired with increasing worry as he looked at me in all my Queen-of-eyebags-draped-with-duvet glory.