Chapter 13| Beyond my Control

Wilton Town (Elite district)

The next day 08:37pm

John PoV

Holding on to the ceiling-handles of the train, I balanced myself while it stopped. Sera and Remi were fine, since they were sitting. But Dumb-and-Dumber in the other coach were causing a domino effect, on eachother at least. I was glad that it wasn't obvious that I associated myself with them.

The girls and I stepped off, leaving the other two. The plan was for us to leave seperatly anyway. The three of us each had a small bag with our disguises in it. All of which were extremely basic and typical teen clothes.  We all had different variants of a black hoidie and a face covering. Scarves turned out to be very popular, but at least Sera and I had sleek ski scarves, while Remi pulled out a knitted winter one. Tis the season to be jolly, apparently.

Once we had our ear peices in, we were all set and, with Isen's directions, we were at the hijacked bank in no time.

"So," Remi began, staring up at the mammoth  building,  "Sky, Glenn, are you ready for this?"

Unable to stop myself, rolled my eyes and said, "Sure, 'Amber', of course."

She didn't seem to pick up on the distaste in my tone, as she proceeded to give me  a gleeful thumbs up.

"Then let's move." Sera said, activating her ability. Both Remi and I followed.

We walked to the entrance of the bank, doing our best to look inconspicuous, however, one can't forget that we looked more like robbers rather than honest clients.

" Guys, there's a guy past the next corner, take him out." Isen's voice piped up through the earpeice.

"I got it." I said, freezing time and speeding over to disarm the man. I knocked him out cold with one hit. Problem solved.

Letting time resume, I paced over to the girls, "All clear."

"Orange, any more pointers?" Remi, asked, clearly talking to the earpiece.

"Honestly, I'm kind of struggling over here." Isen admitted, "The walls are too dense and thick, my visible zone is limited."

"That sucks. Keep trying though!" The girl egged him on.

"This is hopeless." Sera said, "We won't find Preston like this."

"Shush, Se- 'Sky'." I rolled my eyes st the codename. "We'll find him, sure it's difficult, but we'll manage."

"You should have copied Orange's ability, Glen." 'Amber' added, "You'd be able to track him a lot faster, there's only so much, Orange can do from a distance."

"Well, I wanted to keep some slots open." I grunted, "Just in case."

"Gah, enough!" 'Sky' burst out, "Let's split up, we don't have time for this."

"Wha- no, that's dumb." I said, "Have you not watched any horror movies? Never split up. NEVER!"

"Relax...Preston doesn't stand a chance against any of us.", she shrugged. "Besides, we're in constant contact through our earpeices. "

"But-"

"ADIOS." pausing time, she disappeared, leaving only Remi and myself.

Pinching the bridge of my nose, I groaned, "Looks like it's just you and me, Amber." I glanced up, but she was gone aswell. "Oh, COME ON!!"

Shaking my head, I continued to walk through the building, alone. I did my best to be as quiet as possible, often pausing time to carefully examine certain rooms.

"J-  I mean, Glenn!", Isen called from the earpiece, "I can see someone in the room to your left."

"Thanks." I turned, freezing time again. Walking into the room, I spotted a green-haired man hiding in the shadows. It was Preston. Perfect. I kicked him into the wall and grabbed him by the collar of his shirt. Lifting him up, I unpaused time and said, "You'll be coming with me, big-shot."

Wincing and coughing, Preston activated his ability, "Nope." He smirked , grabbing my arm.

Then he was gone, vanished. I looked around, puzzled. But, I noticed that I wasn't alone. On the opposite side of the room stood a man around my height. He was wearing a black trench coat, as well as a covering for the lower half of his face.

I straightened myself, readying for a fight, "Think you can beat me?" I provoked my opponent, "Try me. Bit*h."

The man stalked forward, his dark hair covering his eyes. He activated his ability. I could see the orange glow bounce off his face. His aura was dark and intimidating, leaving me in a cold sweat. He was very powerful, maybe even more powerful than me.

I shuffled back, afraid. That in itself was unsettling, if  I was scared of an opponent.

Clenching my jaw,  I prepared my posture for defence, but I felt time stop. It was beyond my control, it was his doing!  I felt the man grab my neck from behind, shoving me to the floor. 

Gasping, I electrocuted him. But he was unfazed, like he was immune. He leaned over me, pressing his fingers into my shoulders. I spazzed when he shot black lighting through me.  Terrified I looked at his face, unsure of what to do.

My eyes widened. The cloth on his face had slipped off, revealing, me.  Frozen with shock, I stared at 'my' face. It was definitely me. How was this possible?!

I groaned, feeling a punch to my gut. Squinting, I did my best to analyse my opponent, 'I' looked empty, like a thoughtless machine. Seeing it gave me chills. This can't be me. I'm not like this, right?

Trying to gain the upper hand, I pushed agaist 'me' and managed to knock 'me' of myself. But that victory as short-lived, as he simply froze time and kicked me into the wall. I coughed blood, but rewinded my injuries, allowing me to stand against my shadow self.

Sera PoV

"G-guys?!" Isen called through the small device.

"What is it?" I huffed, exploring  the intertwining corridors in search of our wanted illusionist.

"J-john is d-down."