"Home"

Our new place was a crappy apartment in a broken down building. The water pressure was close to nonexistent and if you wanted hot water you had to heat it on the hazard of a stove. We slept on cheap mattresses in the floor.

After nearly a month of this, I'd had enough.

"Jen, where do you think you're going?" Connor asked one night as I grabbed my blankets, heading out the door.

"I can't do this anymore, Connor. I'm sleeping in my truck."

"Jen, you'll be completely vulnerable out there!"

"At least I'll get a good nights sleep."

"Jen, you can't go out there." Murphy tries, sleepily. "Yakavetta's looking for us and if anyone sees you you're done for."

"I don't care!" I freeze as Romeo stirs. "My truck seats are more comfortable than this mattress."

"You'll be completely vulnerable!"

"I don't care! I can't sleep here, I'm not at home. At least my truck feels like home!"

"Now what the fuck's that supposed to mean?"

"I lived in my truck for five years before I bought that ranch!"
The room is silent.

Until we heard the gunshots.

(-)

I wake with a splitting headache. I'm laying on something cold and hard.

Concrete. My hands are tied behind my back.

"Jen?" It's Romeo.

"Rome! What the fuck is going on?"

"I don't know. The last thing I remember is getting pistol whipped."

"Me too. Where's the boys?"

"I don't know."

Someone comes in.

"Well! If it isn't the spic and the slut!"

"What the fuck did you just call me?"

He grabs my hair and pulls my head back.

"You fuckin heard me."

I spit in his face. He slaps me and throws my head against the concrete.

"That should teach you." With that he leaves, leaving me and Romeo to ourselves.

After a few hours of trying to find a way out, someone else comes in.

"Well, he walks like he has a stick up his ass, so I assume he's the leader." I say to Romeo.

"I'll let your comment slide. For now."

"Oh look," Romeo replies. "He talks all high and mighty too."

The man looks absolutely pissed, and I grin knowing I did my job right.

"Listen. You have a chance to be free. All you have to do is tell me what the boys have been planning for the mafia."

"Sorry, can't do that," I pop. "I pinky promised I wouldn't."

"Hmm. And what about you, Jose."

"Well I don't know who this Jose fucker is but Romeo don't tell no secrets."

"Well, how interesting. I guess I just have to leave you two at the mercy of my men."

And that's when hell started.

Sorry these are taking so long and this one's pretty short. I've just been struggling with a few things recently and have been pretty blocked. Please don't let this effect your interest in this story.