The Zachary Donovan Enigma - (8)

Chapter Eight.
(8)

I slipped into the library and lowered my sunglasses. The weather had been driving me insane all freaking day.

You know that feeling when you wake up in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom and you turn on the light so you don’t wipe out your knee on the coffee table, and the light is so blinding compared to the comforting darkness that you have to squint against the sudden change in brightness. And you have to wait for forever for your eyes to readjust to the light?

Yeah, well. It had been like that.

All.

Damn.

Day.

I was still waiting for my eyes to adjust to the daylight.

Don’t ask me why, maybe I was in stage one of some rare and deadly disease or something, because I seemed to be the only one who was nursing a bad headache and an even worse temper.

 I was the only one in the entire school who thought that the sun was abnormally bright today.

In my current foul mood - a result of lack of sleep, my headache, the heat and stress over the whole Zach and the history assignment situation - I hoped that whatever disease I had was contagious and it spread throughout the school, until we all got let out of school for the summer holidays early.

Seriously, what school in the southern hemisphere still had classes up until a week before Christmas? It was so unfair.

But that was our school for you.

I kept the glasses handy as I made my way across the library to the computer labs, just in case I had to suddenly cover my eyes from a stray beam of light.

A blast of cold air from the air-conditioner hit me as I pushed open the door to the computer lab and I sighed in relief as the air cooled my skin and part of my temper.

This was the only room in the whole school that they had decided to air-condition. And it was more due to the fact that they were worried about the computers overheating, than the students suffering heatstroke.

I glanced around the room, searching for my annoying history partner. I finally saw him sitting on the far side of the room... and right next to an open window which was streaming bright light across Zach and the rest of the desk.

I groaned and squinted against the light pulling my sunglasses back on, ignoring the strange looks from my classmates. Who the hell had to wear sunglasses inside?

I brushed past the rows of computers to where Zach was leaning back in his chair, waiting impatiently for me to arrive so we could start.

“About time you showed up,” he grumbled as I approached.

I rolled my eyes - but the motion was lost behind my tinted glasses - and grabbed his elbow, pulling him from the chair.

 “Hey!” he cried, grabbing his bag before it was out of reach. “What are you doing?”

“I don’t want to sit by the window,” I mumbled, dragging him back across the room.

“Why not?” he demanded, yanking his arm from my grasp and scowling furiously.

“I just don’t, ok,” I grumbled, collapsing into a chair in a dark corner of the room. “I think I’m getting sick or something.”

Zach gave me a strange look and seemed about to say something, until he decided against it and just settled on rolling his eyes. “Whatever.”