The Zachary Donovan Enigma - (27)

I really hope this is going to be finished in time... I've had so many distractions lately. Seems everyone wants to spend time with me. Sigh. The price of being popular... =P

But anyways, heres the next chapter! Sorry it's probably even dodgier than the previous ones... =S

Chapter Twenty-Seven.

(27)

“Wow,” I gaped, staring at the summer blue dress Emma was wearing and her dead straight blonde hair. “Look at you!”

Emma self consciously fidgeted on my front porch. “Do you think it’s too much?” she asked.

I immediately shook my head and surveyed the dress again. “No, it’s amazing,” I assured her, before shutting the door behind me and walking with Emma to her car. “What’s the occasion though?” Emma very rarely ever had her hair out, let alone wore floral dresses and eyeliner.

“The end of year party?”

I gave her a sidelong glance before climbing into the passenger seat. “You actually got properly dressed up for it this time though. What’s changed?”

“Nothing,” she said, sliding the keys into the ignition. “I just felt like dressing up tonight.”

I stared at her a moment longer, searching for something to give her away, but I eventually gave up and shrugged. “If you say so.”

“Do you think I should get changed?” she asked worriedly.

“No!” I cried. “Emma, you look hot.”

Emma quickly reversed out of the driveway and onto the road, biting her lip nervously. “Okay.”

I wondered idly why she was so nervous but if she wanted me to know, she would have told me. I’d find out eventually, so I decided to just drop the subject.

I really wanted to tell Emma about my day - about how awesome it had felt to be able to glide by myself - even though it had been completely terrifying at the same time. And I really wanted to tell her about the egg I had dropped on Zach - and his face when it had smashed and dripped rotten yolk down his cheeks...

But I didn’t want to have to explain it all. I didn’t know if I even was allowed to explain it all.

So I decided to just settle for half the truth. I had to tell her something, because it would only be more awkward later when she found out from someone else...

“So,” I began conversationally, idly tapping my leg with my fingers.  “I hung out with Zach for most of today.”

Emma immediately spun her head to face me, questions brimming, and I braced myself for the Spanish inquisition that was sure to follow.

“You hung out with Zach?” she repeated, understandably surprised. I shrugged and nodded as if it were no big deal. We actually had been spending a lot of time together lately; I just hadn’t got around to telling my best friend about it yet. “You do know your history assignment is over right? Didn’t you guys hate each other?”

I nodded again; I didn’t know what else to say. Emma seemed like she was having trouble forming a coherent sentence as well. My statement had definitely caught her off guard, which didn’t happen often.

“Do you still hate each other?” She asked, her brow furrowing in confusion as she tried to figure out what was happening.

I pretended to think about it. I knew I didn’t hate him anymore - I was actually trying to become his friend again - but I had to play it cool, and I couldn’t confirm if Zach still hated me or not anyway. “No,” I eventually said slowly, “I don’t think so. Well, not hate anyways. He probably still dislikes me a little.”