The Zachary Donovan Enigma - (21)

*************************************************************

I can't believe I haven't updated in a week... oops. sorry gang. =/ I don't really have an excuse, I'm a lazy blob. I've just been putting it off because I knew what was coming, and I hate explanation chapters... So please let me know if you dont understand anything and I'll try and re-word it somehow. I also only proofread it like .. once, so its not gonna be my best chapter... But its longer than the last few! =D

hopefully this will explain a few things, lemmi know if it doesn't =)

*************************************************************

Chapter Twenty One.

(21)

“So what did happen to you?” smirked Zach, swinging around in his leather desk chair as I emerged in his bedroom doorway. He’d been surprisingly nice enough to lend me a spare change of clothes and a towel I could use to clean myself up after my attack.

Even if the shirt was four sizes too big and the boxer shorts had ‘God’s gift to women’ printed across the front them. It didn’t seem like anything Zach would wear, but maybe his mum had bought them for him?

Or maybe he just did have a sick sense of humour.

“Surely a normal person can walk a few blocks without getting covered in mud,” added Zach, amused.

I collapsed down on the end of his bed and vigorously massaged the towel against my hair, trying futilely to dry it. “It’s a long story,” I muttered darkly. Really, I just didn’t feel like sharing with Zach how I was attacked, robbed and thrown in the mud. 

Zach leaned back in his chair, crossed his arms and grinned smugly at me. “I’ve got time.”

I groaned and rolled my eyes. I didn’t have the patience for this. “Fine,” I grumbled begrudgingly. “I got mugged. Happy?”

Zach snorted. “That’s your idea of a long story? I’d love to hear you’re version of a short one.”

I just rolled my eyes again in response.

“Couldn’t have said it better myself,” he smirked, while I scowled at him. “So did your mugger fling mud at you as well?” he continued, ignoring me. “Or did you just decide to roll in it?”

I gave up trying to dry my hair and threw the towel down on the floor in frustration. “Yes,” I said sarcastically, “They robbed me, threw mud at me, and then left me to suffer in your presence.”

“Well,” said Zach nodding towards the door. “You’re quite welcome to leave; I’ll try not to take it personally; though I find your presence just as insufferable.”

I found that hard to believe. “Fine, sorry,” I huffed, taking a deep breath and doing my best to refrain from snapping back at him. He really did bring out the worst in me. “Will, you please just tell me what I saw in the forest the other day,” I pleaded. “And for that matter... why did I have to come to your house? Why couldn’t you just tell me at school?” I added as an afterthought.

“Well first off,” said Zach mockingly, “We were meant to be doing our assignment at school.” He thought about it a bit more and decided to add an afterthought of his own. “And it could also have been risky with so many other people around.”

I gave him a flat look that said I wasn’t completely happy with his answer. We never got any work done in History anyway, what would be the difference? “Okay,” I finally grumbled. “So then, what was going on in the forest?”