The Zachary Donovan Enigma - (22)

Ok. So I have good and bad news.... The good news is - we'll be landing shortly. The bad news - we're crash landing! BAHAHAHA madagascar2 anyone? no? Ok... fun sponges -_-

Well. The ACTUAL good news (if you haven't already figured it out) was I've uploaded! Hurah! The bad news? I'm starting Uni again next week =( Which means slower uploads. Sob. I honestly did try to update more on my holidays! But well, it kinda backfired, coz I'm lazy... =P
And I have to go to a wedding on the weekend, so sorry to leave the chapter at such a bad spot (hehe, not really) but you're gonna have to hang on a bit for the next one. =( Sorry!

But anyways, live for the present! read away my pretties! Read, vote and comment and enjoy! =D

**************************************************************

Chapter Twenty Two
(22)

I stared at Zach blankly for a moment before what he’d said finally sunk in, and I frowned slightly. “Here?” I asked in surprise, raising my eyebrows and glancing briefly around the rather small bedroom. I didn’t know why this was such a surprise; where else would one shift? I guess I was thinking we’d have to traipse back through the rain to the forest. To that place where I’d first seen the group of shifters, well... shift.

“Yes,” he said flatly, as if this were a stupid question. It probably was. But then his grin broadened as an amusing thought crossed his mind and he kindly decided to share it. “Let’s hope you’re not an elephant.”

My eyes widened slightly. “Can that happen?” I asked anxiously. That could be kind of awkward. It would also be rather squishy in his bedroom. Something would end up getting broken, and I don’t think his parents would be too impressed. Maybe we should slog through the rain and go to the forest after all; just in case...

Zach tried to hold back his laughter and his eyes twinkled in amusement. There was no doubt he was laughing at me – or rather my worried expression. I didn’t really mind though, the sound reminded me of what it used to be like two years ago, and I felt my stomach tighten slightly in response. It was so not fair. One minute he could be a complete jerk, and then the next I’d find myself wishing for things to go back to how they used to be – back when we were friends.

And then sometimes both happened simultaneously.

So not fair.

Zach managed to get himself under control soon though and abruptly shot me a look that said I was an idiot, breaking me out of my thoughts. “No,” he clarified, the hint of a smirk creeping back onto his face. “You can only shift into an Australian animal.”

“Oh,” I muttered, feeling my face heat up slightly and feeling very idiotic indeed. But that aside, finding I’d had a tail the other night was a big enough shock for me. I didn’t know how I would handle being a completely different animal. Another thought crossed my mind, and I hoped desperately it was something I could do instead of shifting. “Don’t you just have like, a personality quiz or something I can take instead?” I asked hopefully.

The grin slowly faded from Zach’s face and he gave me an exasperated look. He seemed to be getting tired of my stupid questions; which admittedly, had been the only type of questions I’d asked so far... “No. There’s no quiz.”

I sighed glumly. Damn.

“You can’t avoid it forever you know,” said Zach matter-of-factly and I scowled at him for being so calm. “The shifts have been getting bigger and more frequent, haven’t they? It’s only a matter of time until you accidently shift in the middle of a crowded shopping centre or something.”