The Zachary Donovan Enigma - (24)

*****************************************************

So I feel as though I'm getting into a pattern here...

1) Appologise for the late update. SORRY GUYS! I'm a bad person.

2) Appologise for the crappy update. SORRY GUYS! I'm really tired, its like 2am and it's lame, I know. But its better than nothing... right?

3) Appologise for the chapter with no real plot. SORRY GUYS! 2 am remember. I'm usually in bed by at least 11. =/

4) Appologise for the increase in freddo frog prices. SORRY GUYS! It's all my fault. These are truely sad times for us all =(

5) Thank everyone who is still reading after I've done all these bad things! LOVE YOU GUYS!

And now I think I've covered everything.... Enjoy the crappy, delayed update with no real plot! yay! =)

******************************************************

Chapter Twenty-Four

(24)

After I’d had a moment for my realisation to fully sink in I tossed off my covers and scrambled out of bed, the end of the dream replaying over and over in my head. That hauntingly evil face of Eli seemed to be etched into my brain and I couldn’t shake it. It was staring to really scare me.

It had started raining again during the night, and the water lashed furiously against the window as I fumbled through the dark room for my mobile phone. I managed to stub my top twice before reaching my bag and pulling out the small cell I took to school. Squinting against the bright LCD screen, I quickly scrolled through my contacts and hit dial on Zach’s number, before flopping back onto the bed. I didn’t know who else to call, who else would understand. But I felt as though I needed to tell someone, and right now, I didn’t want to be alone.

I pressed the phone harder against my ear and listened to it ring out. No one answered. I cried out in frustration and instantly redialled.  “Pick up Zach,” I moaned, staring at the ceiling and mentally willing him to answer.

The phone picked up on the fifth ring this time and after a pause Zach’s voice came through the phone, husky with sleep.

“What?”

I almost cried with relief, but thankfully I had enough self restraint to hold back. Instead I took a deep breath to compose myself before answering. “I think we have a problem...”

There was another pause and I imagined him trying to figure out through his sleepiness who was calling him at three in the morning.

“Cassie?” he figured eventually.

 “Yeah.”

“What time is it?” he mumbled and I tapped my fingers anxiously against my legs, wishing his train of thought was moving a bit faster right now.

“Don’t you own a clock?”

There was another pause and I imagined he would be rolling his eyes right now if he’d had enough energy to do so. The pause was then followed closely by a long string of curses, and I presumed he’d found the time.

“Cassie, why the friggin hell are you calling me at bloody three in the morning!” he complained, too tired to raise his voice.

“Because we have a problem,” I repeated.

“Couldn’t it wait till morning?”

I hesitated and resumed tapping my fingers. It probably could have, but the dream had really freaked me out. I couldn’t believe I was saying this, to Zach of all people. I took another breath. “Maybe...” I admitted quietly. “But I really don’t want to be alone right now.”