The Zachary Donovan Enigma - (11)

Chapter 11.
(11)

I weaved my way expertly through the throngs of students moving to class. Admittedly, I was in no hurry, but could you blame me? I had history with Zach next, and in light of recent events – and partly due to my knack of leaving things to the last minute- I hadn’t touched the assignment since last lesson. Apparently I just seemed to enjoy giving this boy more reasons to hate me.

Being back at school was a strange feeling after Gran had passed away last night. It was weird to carry on with life as per normal, as though nothing had happened, and with the biggest topic of conversation being the rapidly approaching summer holidays.

I hadn’t told anyone about Gran - and I didn’t want their pity – but I guess most people had guessed something was different when I was keeping more to myself than usual. I didn’t feel like making the usual effort to talk to these people. The person I wanted to talk to the most was Emma. But I hadn’t seen her all morning, and I could only assume we were still in non-friend mode.

“Cassie!”

I turned slowly to the sound of my name shouted through the hallway, and saw Eli pushing his way through the crowds. His dark brown hair was styled to stick up slightly at the front, and his school polo shirt was a few sizes too small, revealing the outlines of his toned chest.

I smiled slightly in greeting and waited for him to catch up. He approached tentatively, shoving his free hand deep into his pocket, while his other hand held the necessary schoolwork.

“How you doing?” he asked as we started walking in the direction of the social science block.

I just shrugged. It was part truth; I didn’t really know how I felt at the moment. But mostly, I couldn’t be bothered explaining everything.

“Do you want a hug?”

I smiled and briefly glanced at him sceptically out of the corner of my eye. Eli wasn’t a hugger. An amazing kisser yes, but he didn’t do hugs.

I shook my head, still smiling. “Naw, I’ll be ok.”

 Eli sighed heavily with relief, making me smile wider. It seemed to be a subconscious reflex; one he didn’t realise he making.

“What are you smiling at?”

I shoved him playfully with my shoulder. “You.”

 “Well that’s alright then,” Eli grinned, shoving me back. Then he did a double take, his eyes widening then focusing on a certain spot on my head. “Did you get a grey streak in your hair?” he asked disbelievingly, staring at my hair.

I frowned and scoffed. “No. Why?”

“It looks like your hairs gone grey... and fluffy? But just in that one spot.” He reached out to point at it with a finger.

I burst out laughing, slapping his finger away. “Fluffy? Really? Rit-o. I think you might need your eyes checked.”

“No, I’m serious!” he protested, laughing and reaching out again to touch my hair.

“Yeah, right,” I said, spinning around to check my reflection in the closest classroom window – just in case... Eli’s weird behaviour was starting to make me doubt my hair was a consistent chocolate brown colour.

“HA! I told you so!” I cried, pointing at the reflection that stared back at me - in all its ordinary glory.

Eli frowned and turned me - with slightly more force than necessary -by the shoulders so that I faced him. His eyes narrowing in confusion as he scrutinized my hair “I’m sure there was grey there before.”