Chapter 14

Scott's head was a mess as he drove home. He really didn't want to wait until Thursday. Why give this guy a chance to take Mitch?

No, he had to be smart. It would be suicide to go in alone, with no back up. He couldn't risk messing this up. Everything had to be done correctly. This guy wouldn't walk a second time, and if it was up to Scott, he would be dead.

He walked in the apartment to see Mitch and Kirstie curled up watching a movie. Mitch immediately jumped up as soon as he saw him.

"Hi Scotty. How was your day?" Mitch asked, attempting to make conversation."

"It was fine, Mitch. Kirstie, can I talk to you in the hall? Police business, it's confidential, Mitch." Scott added after seeing the hurt look on Mitch's face.

Kirstie gave him a comforting smile and followed Scott into the hall.

"What's wrong?" She asked.

"Henry Thomas is in L.A. Kevin found an informant that knows where he will be and when. We need to put a team together. He's not getting out of this one." Scott said.

"Did he come here for Mitch?"

"Yeah. Evidently he's been asking around for him. It's only a matter of time before he finds him. Thursday night he is supposed to be at the house behind the old bowling alley on Penwood Court."

"You should tell Mitch. You can't keep this from him Scott. He needs to know what's going on."

"No way. Don't tell him anything. Just tell him it's a new case you can't talk about. I don't want to worry him."

"This is what happened last time Scott. Him thinking you were keeping things from him is what made him leave. I know you really weren't, but this time you are. If he finds out somehow it would devastate him." She tried to reason.

"My investigation. I'm lead on it. I said no. Now go put a team together and get them up to speed." Scott ordered.

Kirstie narrowed her eyes at him and walked back inside.

"I have to go Mitchie, duty calls. I'll try and call you tomorrow, okay?" She said as she hugged him.

"Okay, bye Kirstie."

It was silent in the room as Mitch and Scott stared at each other.

"I am making spaghetti for dinner, is that okay with you?" Mitch asked.

"Not hungry. Go ahead." Scott murmured before walking to the bedroom and closing the door.

Mitch sighed and sat back down on the couch, suddenly losing his appetite.

The next morning, Scott was forced to take Mitch to the station with him, because Kevin and Kirstie were busy with the case.

"Wait in my office, Mitch. I have to go over some things in the conference room." Scott said, barely even looking at the younger man.

Mitch just nodded sadly, wondering what he could possibly do to get Scott to act like he used to.

Scott walked in the conference room and sat down. He looked around and Kirstie, Kevin and the other officers Kirstie had put together.

"I'm assuming that Detective Maldonado here has brought you all up to speed on our target?" Scott asked looking around.

A collective agreement of "Yes sir's" were said and Scott continued.

"Good. Henry Thomas is not to get away. Do I make myself clear? Under no circumstances does he escape. He is the main target we are after. Everything is to be don't by the book. No mess ups will be tolerated on this bust. Everyone understand?"

After making sure everyone nodded in agreement, Scott stood up and faced them.

"You all know Mitch, correct?" Scott asked.

"Yes." They all affirmed.

"Good. Not a word of this to him. If I find out one of you has said anything to him about this, I'll see that you're fired. Dismissed."

Scott turned and walked out of the room and headed back to his office.

When he walked in, Mitch was closing a desk drawer and stood up smiling.

"I have a few more things to work on, then I'll see you at home. I'll get Kevin to take you." Scott ordered.

"Oh, I thought maybe we could have lunch together? I'll go get it. I mean, Kirstie can come with me, or I can order something? I just want to be with you." Mitch said hopeful.

Scott sighed and looked at Mitch.

"I said I'll see you at home." Scott said before turning away.

Mitch nodded sadly and went to the hallway to wait for Kevin. He didn't say goodbye as Kevin lead him out of the building.

"What the hell is wrong with you?" Kirstie asked, storming into Scott's office.

"What do you mean? I'm just doing my job, like you should be." He said.

"I'm referring to Mitch. Why are you treating him like crap?"

"I'm trying to focus on this case, Kirstie. If I get too wrapped up in thinking about how Mitch keeps looking at me with those big brown sad eyes, I'll make a mistake and Thomas will walk. I'm not trying to hurt him, I'm trying to save him."

"Well, you could be a little nicer!" She said flipping her hair as she walked out.

Scott shook his head and got back to work.

A little while later Scott's phone rang and he answered.

"Hoying." He answered.

"Scott, the informant from before is here and wishing to speak with you. He's in interrogation 1." Kirstie said.

"Thanks Kirstie."

Scott hung up and headed downstairs.

"What do you want?" He asked marching in and sitting down.

"I more info on Thomas. He aint comin Thursday." He said.

"Why the hell not? Was he tipped off?" Scott said growing angry.

"Don't think so. He's growin more impatient. He wants to meet tonight. Same place and time."

"You sure it's tonight?" Scott asked.

"Positive."

Scott nodded and headed back to his office, motioning Kirstie to follow him.

"Change of plans. Thomas is making his move tonight. Same time and location. Get the team together and go over details. I'll call Kevin and have him get back here. Mitch will be safe here at the station."

Kirstie nodded and quickly left.

Scott picked up his phone and called Kevin.

"Kevin, change of plans. Thomas is meeting tonight. Get back to the station now. Bring Mitch. Hurry."