Chapter Seven

Albert's POV

Nagising ako nang wala si Eula sa tabi ko. Himala, naunahan ako. I checked the clock, and it's already 10 am. I slept in!

I started my day with a prayer, just like what I always do.

I got my phone, checked if meron akong messages, and checked what day it is today.

Meron palang scheduled immunotherapy today si Eula. Baka maaga gumising. It's her first immunotherapy simula nung 'breakfast thing'.

Ilang days na rin lumipas when Eula joined us for breakfast. After that, lagi na siyang sumasabay tuwing kakain. Hindi na siya nag kukulong and hindi na rin cold.

I'm glad she's back. My wife is back..

I got out of bed and went to the shower. Nagbihis na ko ng pang-alis, and went down.

Pagbaba ko palang, I heard people giggling in the kitchen.

I saw Anna, Sandy and Julie sitting by the counter and watching their mom cook.

I missed mornings like this. Ang sarap sa pakiramdam na ganito nadadatnan mo sa umaga - your loving wife, cooking breakfast while telling your daughters stories about random things.

"Good morning, Girls!" I greeted them kissed the top of their heads.

I wrapped my arms around my wife's waist. I heard the three girls giggle.

"Good morning, Hon!" Eula said, still her eyes on the french toasts she's cooking.

"Good morning, my love! Ang bango naman!" I said as I planted small kisses on her shoulders.

"Alin po yung mabango? Yung niluluto o yung nagluluto?" Sandy playfully said, which made her sisters laugh.

"Well, I was talking about what your mom is cooking but okay, that works too! Mas mabango ang mommy ninyo," I said confidently.

Eula turned around and looked at me. "Ang aga aga kung ano anong pinagsasasabi mo, Mr. Martinez!" She said while holding her personalized wooden spatula which has her name carved.

Just like the old times!

"Aga aga ang haharot ni Papa!" Anna said, laughing hard with her sisters.

Eula got back in what she was doing, "Sige na dun ka na. Maluluto na 'to! Ihanda mo nalang yung mesa," Her eyes focused on the pan, but I didn't move a muscle. I was still hugging her, and had no plans on moving. "Ladies, pakihanda na yung mesa dahil mukhang walang balak gumalaw ng tatay niyo," she laughed.

My girls stood up from the counter and started getting our plates, utensils and whatsoever in the drawers to fix our table. "Uso tumulong dad! But okay, alam naman naming namiss niyo maglambingan ni Mommy so take your time hihi but please wag sana masunog yung french toast!" Julie said with a wide smile on her face.

Eula laughed, "Julie, pakisama na nga itong tatay niyo!" She said but again, I didn't move. I wanted us to stay like this, and savor this moment.

"Sige na, Martinez. Intayin nyo nalang ako sa table." She said pero 'di ako natinag. "Di naman ako mawawala," she said sarcastically.

I became silent. I didn't know what to say. Double meaning ba 'to? Is she really believing na hindi na siya mawawala?

I smiled and kissed her cheek. "Dun na ko sa table mag-aantay, Ma. Ingat ka dito, love you!"

"Mr. Martinez is becoming extra sweet today huh? Haha, love you too, Hon."

I went to the dinning table to join my daughters. "What did mommy say to make you leave her? Hahaha" Anna asked as I sat on my place.

"Nothing, she just said na hindi naman daw siya mawawala dun kaya dito na raw ako muna and wait for her," I said but they weren't convinced.

"Weh? Knowing you, Dad?" Sandy asked.

But before I could even answer, Eula went in the dinning room. "Le petit déjeuner est servi," she said in a fancy way as she put the plate full of french toasts on the table.

Sinasabi nito? Hahahaha "Ano raw?" I asked, looking at Eula.

"Sabi ko, breakfast is served," she said while smiling. I stood up, wrapped my arms around her waist and kissed her hair before removed her apron around her waist.

Sandy was about to get a toast when Eula stopped her

Sandy was about to get a toast when Eula stopped her. "Whoops, prayer muna! You lead."

Sandy nodded and closed her eyes. "In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, Amen." She started. "Father, We have gathered to share a meal in Your honor. Thank You for putting us together as family, and thank You for this food. Bless it to our bodies, Lord. We thank you for all of the gifts you've given to those around this table. Help each member of our family use these gifts to your glory. Guide our mealtime conversations and steer our hearts to Your purpose for our lives. In Jesus' Name, Amen. In the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit, Amen." She smiled and opened her eyes.

"That was a great prayer, Sandy.." Eula commented. "Let's eat!"

"Here.." Eula put a french toast on my plate and gave me her sweetest smile. "Thank you, Hon."

I took a bite and sabi ko na, nothing changed. Ang sarap pa rin niya gumawa nito. She made the best french toast, and she still does!

"Namiss ko 'to! Ang sarap sarap pa rin!" I said truthfully.

"Asus, kumain ka nalang dyan.. and dalian mo kasi may appointment tayo for my immunotherapy, sasamahan mo naman ako diba?" She said with hopes in her eyes that I would say yes.

I nodded, "Oo naman, ikaw pa?" Napangiti ako, am I dreaming? Siya ba talaga nagbring up ng topic na pupunta siya sa doctor? At niyaya pa ko. Lord, thank you for this... damn, I can't explain my happiness.

After we finished eating, we got ready for Eula's therapy. "You ready?" I asked her.

"Yes, wait lang. Saglit." She said, eyes on her reflection on the mirror.

"It's okay, take your -" before I could finish my sentence, she held my hand and said that she was ready.

After a while, we reached the hospital. Eula's doctor was shocked to see her different aura, and said that she should keep up her positive and jolly attitude.

After Eula's therapy, Dr. Peters said that he'll tell us something.

"Ano po yun, Doc?" I asked nervously.

"Let me go to the point immediately. Mrs. Martinez's tumor is growing rapidly, and immunotherapy is not anymore advisable." What? I don't understand. Akala ko maayos na ang lahat. With Eula being hopeful already, malalampasan na niya 'to. But why did everything change?

"I think she should undergo chemotherapy instead of immunotherapy."

I held her hand and she looked at me with sadness in her eyes.

❤️