Trust

Akira's breath hitched slightly as they exited the walls. She was one step closer to home. The rumble of the horse hooves hitting the ground echoed in her ears. If this goes well, I'll be going home.

Her attention was drawn by the first set of flares, causing her adrenaline to spike. Taking a deep breath, she redirected her attention towards the front. A silent tension settled over the squad. Akira frowned slightly. It's been a long time since the last flare went off. Either this place isn't as overrun as we thought, or something is wrong.

The sound of Akira's heartbeat competed with the thumps from the horses. Her left thumb rubbed over the horse rein as her sea green eyes shifted about slightly.

Akira turned as another set of horse hooves approached. Frowning slightly, she noted how she probably shouldn't have been the first one to notice another rider.

"Reporting sir! It's an oral message. Right wing spotters have been decimated. Detection network is partially out. Please pass this message on to the left!"

Levi turned slightly. "You heard him, Petra. Go!"

The strawberry blonde nodded firmly. "Yes sir."

Akira turned to Eren. "I'm sure Armin is fine. Focus on the mission."

The younger Jaeger nodded. "R-right."

Akira winced slightly as the sound of flares went off. "Three flares to the right."

The others turned just in time to see them go off. Eren's jaw dropped slightly.

"How..."

Akira shrugged. "I don't know. Sensory overload?"

"Eren, you fire it." Levi let out a disappointed tsk noise. "This is disgraceful. We've let them get pretty far inside the formation."

Akira could only nod in response. My hearing definitely used to not be this sensitive.

She glanced upwards at the treetops. It reminded her of the night she and Eren saved Mikasa. The forest always seemed to resemble death and change, and Akira could only hope that this time it would be different.

Everyone was getting increasingly worried by the minute and it was rubbing off on Akira. Her heart was pounding out of her chest.

Her head shot up. "There's something following us."

As if cued, three more flares went off.

Levi glanced back for a moment. "Draw your swords. We'll only have a moment."

Bam! In seconds, a female titan slaughtered one of the people from the rear guard and sent half of a tree flying. Akira's adrenaline spiked once more as Petra and the others begged for orders.

"Everyone cover your ears. Especially Akira." Boom!

Akira let out a gasp as a metallic ringing echoed through her head, along with a head splitting migraine. Her eyes could make out the words Eren was mouthing...no he was yelling, wasn't he?

"I'm okay. I'm okay."

Levi glanced back, even if only for a moment. He wasn't convinced, and she knew it too.

Her hearing was slowly returning and she turned to look over her shoulder. Akira's eyebrows furrowed in confusion. "Eren, is it just me or does she look familiar?"

The boy let out an exasperated huff. "Familiar? You've lost it now!"

Akira shook her head, despite the throbbing pain that was caused by the motion. "No, I swear I've seen her before."

Levi scowled. "Eren, Kira, face forwards!"

Akira listened. Eren continued to look back as the reinforcements got slaughtered behind them.

"Eren!" The boy's frantic gaze net his sister's. "Don't look back. The commander has a plan."

His mouth gaped open. Being slaughtered is apart of the plan? Eren closed his mouth and narrowed his eyes. She must really trust the commander. He shifted his gaze forwards and a wave of realization crossed over him. Or maybe...she just trusts the Captain.

He straightened his posture slightly as the memory of Akira and the Captain standing between him and the swords of the notorious Levi squad.

Yes, Eren mused to himself, that must be it. His eyes filled themselves with determination as he made his decision. She trusts Captain Levi...so I should trust him as well.