Chapter Four

Disclaimer: None of this mine, nor will it ever be. The characters belong to Stephenie Meyer and I just like to play with Edward and Bella.

Also, thank you so much for your support for my writing. It means to me more than words can say.

"It is better to take many small steps in the right direction than to take a giant leap forward only to stumble backward."
Old Chinese Proverb

Chapter Four

Bella was sitting in the van, glowering at the gym that Jasper had sent her. It was the bottom floor of a medical complex. "Do you think they'll help me, Mom?" Bella asked.

"I have a good feeling, Bella," Renee answered.

"I'm afraid, Ma," Bella whispered. "Jasper gave me something that I haven't had in a long time ... hope. Hope that I can walk; that I can take control of my life again. I miss my freedom ... I miss teaching. I miss living."

"You could go back," Renee offered. "To teaching, you know."

"I could, but I don't feel like I'd have any authority. Not from the chair. I know that there are teachers who do this from a chair, but I'm not strong enough. It's a mental thing. But, I can't just ignore it," Bella sighed, tucking her hair behind her ear. At the spa a couple of weeks ago, Bella was spoiled with a complete makeover. Her toes were painted a brilliant pink and her hair was cut, styled and dyed a rich, chocolate brown, with caramel highlights, hiding the grey that had sprung up since her spinal stroke. She looked like the Bella from her memory and not the shattered woman who'd had her life thrown into upheaval. "Being a book editor is much more flexible for the amount of physical therapy that I need. I can work on the books when I can't sleep. It's also a bit more lucrative than teaching. Not by much, but my salary is better than when I worked at the middle school."

"I would suggest maintaining your credentials. Just in case, baby girl," Renee said. "Now, shall we meet Alice?"

Bella nodded and released her chair from the back of the van. Pressing a few buttons, the door opened and she eased down the ramp. Renee walked beside her as they entered the facility. Bella introduced herself and she was led to a private room by the receptionist. With some assistance, Bella settled on a table and filled out the insurance paperwork. As she was finishing, the door opened and petite woman walked in. Bella recognized her from the photo on Jasper's desk.

Trailing behind her was the most beautiful man Bella had ever seen. He was well over six feet tall, with broad shoulders, slender waist, pale skin, with a smattering of freckles across his nose and along his hairline. His hair was a cross between red and chocolate brown, appearing to almost bronze in color, with many multifaceted colors of blonde, caramel and light brown. His eyes captured Bella's attention. They were crystalline, bright green, swirling with concern and genuine warmth.

"Isabella Swan?" chirped the woman. Bella waved her hand. "I'm Alice Whitlock. This is one of my best physical therapists, Edward Cullen."

"Please, call me Bella," Bella smiled, shaking Alice's hand. "It's a pleasure to meet both of you. This is my mother, Renee Swan."

"Nice to meet you," Alice said, shaking Renee's hand.

"A pleasure, Ms. Swan," Edward said softly, taking her hand in his. Bella shuddered, feeling a shock radiating through her arm. "Are you alright?"

"Just a chill," Bella laughed. "I'm okay. Thank you, though."

Alice sat down on a stool and took out a tablet. "I received your file from my husband. I also took the liberty of contacting your previous rehab center. They sent over your progress; from the moment you entered the residential center until you were discharged a few months later."