Chapter Five

Disclaimer: None of this mine, nor will it ever be. The characters belong to Stephenie Meyer and I just like to play with Edward and Bella.

Also, thank you so much for your support for my writing. It means to me more than words can say.

I'm unsure if you'd heard, but one of our beloved fandom family members passed away this weekend. Dee Creston, lovingly known as FangirlinGrandmaDee, died peacefully and surrounded by family. This chapter is dedicated to one of the kindest, warmest and friendliest members of our TwiFamily. Her love of fic and her encouraging words will be missed, tremendously.

From me to you, Dee, {GIANT TUFANO HUGS AND SMOOCHES} ... always and forever.

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away."
Henry David Thoreau

Chapter Five

"Edward, can I have a word with you?" Alice asked, sitting at her desk. It had been a couple of weeks since Bella began her physical therapy. She gestured to the chair next to her desk. "How are things going?"

Edward sat down, stretching his legs out. He took a few sips of water. "It's very slow going. I looked at her scans and her body should be healing. The damage is minute."

"I think a lot of it is mental," Alice murmured. "Are you going to take her to the pool?"

"Not yet. The muscles in her legs are not strong enough. We've been working them. Her toes are working and she's able to point and flex her foot."

"That's more than she's done before," Alice smiled.

"The first time she moved her foot, Bella started crying," Edward breathed. "At first, she was quiet, but then she just lost it." He blushed, looking at his boss. "I hate to see women crying. Hell, anyone really."

"You hugged her, didn't you?" Alice asked, an understanding look on her face.

"I held her, Alice. I picked her up and held her in my lap as she cried," he sighed, scrubbing his face. "During our sessions, she told me about what her ex-husband did to her. Her parents are supportive and her kids are great, but she's been weathering this storm on her own. I wanted to make it a little better."

"She let her guard down around you?" Alice said. Edward nodded, his face turning a brighter red. "Good, that's what I was hoping for."

"What?"

"I see a lot of Rosalie in Bella," Alice smirked. "Tough as nails, dealing with their disabilities, for the most part, on their own. Emmett brought something out in Rosalie that made her even stronger. She felt supported for the first time."

"What you're suggesting goes against everything I learned in my classes, Alice," Edward said, pursing his lips. "Bella is a beautiful woman, but she's my patient. A relationship with her is unethical."

"That's almost exactly what Emmett said about Rosalie," Alice laughed. "Within a month, they were a couple. Rosalie also asked to work another therapist. She didn't want to blur the lines."

"That's why she switched to work with Liam," Edward murmured. "I wondered why she made the switch. It makes sense now." He looked at Alice. "I don't want to lose her as a patient. I like seeing her improve with each session. I like seeing her smile."

"You are already drawn to her, Edward," Alice said. "Do you need me to reassign Bella to another therapist?"

"No, I don't," Edward answered, shaking his head. "I ... I want to be a support to her. I don't want her to think that I'm giving up on her, like her ex-husband." He checked his watch. "Speaking of which, Bella should be here in a little bit. She's bringing her oldest son with her so he can learn the exercises that I do with her. I notice a slight regression over the weekend, when she's not at the center every other day. With her son's assistance, she can keep trekking forward."