Chapter Seventeen

Disclaimer: None of this mine, nor will it ever be. The characters belong to Stephenie Meyer and I just like to play with Edward and Bella.

Also, thank you so much for your support for my writing. It means to me more than words can say.

I'm unsure if you'd heard, but one of our beloved fandom family members passed away a couple of weekends ago. Dee Creston, lovingly known as FangirlinGrandmaDee, died peacefully and surrounded by family. This chapter is dedicated to one of the kindest, warmest and friendliest members of our TwiFamily. Her love of fic and her encouraging words will be missed, tremendously.

From me to you, Dee, {GIANT TUFANO HUGS AND SMOOCHES} ... always and forever.

"Don't judge each by the harvest you reap, but by the seeds you plant."
Robert Louis Stevenson

Chapter Seventeen

Jake, with a broken hand because of his damned temper, Seth, Bella and Edward sat at a nearby park. The same park that Jake had lost his damned temper.

Talk about irony ...

It was almost time for Riley to come and they were all incredibly anxious that he wouldn't show up. It wouldn't shock Bella, but she prayed for her boys that her douche of an ex-husband would be less douchey. Jake and Seth hid their anxiety by kicking a soccer ball back and forth. Bella was obsessively checking her phone for the time while Edward maintained a cool façade, but underneath, he was brimming with anger for the boys.

Bella's phone vibrated and she looked down at it. "He's here."

A sleek BMW pulled into the parking lot. "Did he always drive that?" Edward asked.

"No. He bought that after our divorce," Bella whispered. "I got that monstrosity with specialized controls for someone who couldn't use her feet and he got a sleek, blue Beemer."

"Well, you don't drive that monstrosity anymore. Instead, you have a sleek Honda Pilot," Edward quipped as he watched Riley, a tall, slender man walk out of the car. He had dark hair and pale skin, wearing a pair of dark wash jeans and a polo. He obviously took care of himself, but there was something about him that Edward didn't trust.

Jake stopped kicking the ball, holding it to his hip while Seth turned around. He ran to Edward, sitting next to him. Jake stood behind his mother and her boyfriend. Riley sat down, looking at his boys. "You've both grown so much. You look so much like your mom."

"It was almost like you weren't involved, Riley," Jake said coldly.

"Jacob William," Bella snapped.

"Sorry," Jake said.

"No, you're not," Riley said, looking at his older son. "But, I deserve it."

"Why did you want to see us? Are you getting back together with Mom?" Seth asked, eyeing his father dubiously. He remembered how much his mother cried because of this man. Seth didn't want her to get back together with the man who was supposed to be his father.

"I'm not, Seth. I'm actually moving to Los Angeles. Being here is too painful, to be perfectly honest," Riley said, looking at his sons. "I will forever hate myself for what I did when I left your mom. I was stupid and a coward. I couldn't handle it."

"And now, Mom is kicking ass and she's happier than she ever was with you," Jake snapped.

"I'm glad for that," Riley said, looking up at his ex-wife. "You deserve happiness, Bella."

"I have it, Riley," Bella breathed, kissing Edward and snuggling closer to him. "Now, tell the boys why you're here."

Riley scrubbed his face and leaned against the table. "I've been an awful father. I was there for Jake more so than you, Seth. I love you both, but ... I can see that you have a family with your mom and Edward." He looked down, staring at his left hand where he wore his wedding band for nearly fifteen years. All that remained was a faded tan line where the ring had once been. "I was unfaithful with your mother. I'd been with Bree, Mrs. Hunter, since Seth was about two years old. We were together for some time, but she ended it with me."

"Is James your kid?" Seth asked, anger bubbling underneath.

"No, Seth. James is not my child," Riley answered. "But, I treated James like he was mine because his own father left."

"Like you," Jake spat.

"Yes," Riley sneered back, frustrated with Jacob's anger and hatred. Regardless of what happened, Riley should still be respected. Shaking his head, he would rather be somewhere else. Fuck Edward for making me come here. "I'll be blunt. I've terminated my parental rights so you could be a family with Edward. From my conversation with him, he adores you all and will be a better father than I ever was. I've set up a trust for you using your grandparents' life insurance policies. I will also keep paying child support until you both reach eighteen. I still love you both, but I won't stand in the way of you being a true family."

"You say you love us, but you throw us away," Seth sniffled.

"This is something that I will always have to live with, Seth," Riley muttered. "I hate what I did to us. I will always hate myself."

"That's why you're leaving. To not be reminded of the biggest mistake you ever made," Jake said. "Well, the feeling is the same for us. You are a mistake."

"You already knew," Riley stated.

"When Mom and my father told me that my sperm donor wanted to see us, I took it poorly." Jake held up his broken hand. "This is on you, Riley. And after today, I will not think of you ever again. I will remember how you walked out on our family and how my real father showed me how to be a man. I love Edward and I love what he has done for our family. Have a nice life." Jake turned and he walked away.

"We don't need your money," Seth snarled. "Keep it. You can't buy us. I'm glad I'll never see you again. Dad, can I go play with Jake? He was going to help me with my corner kicks." Seth blinked at Edward; his eyes filled with tears. Edward nodded, kissing Seth's forehead.

When the boys were farther away, "Your money will be paying for their therapy appointments, Riley," Bella said coldly. "Whatever is leftover will be used for their college education. You said what you needed to say and I'm glad that Edward forced you to face our children." Bella threaded her fingers with Edward. "It gave them closure. Now, go fuck yourself and your life in Los Angeles. I never want to see you again."

He started to open his mouth, but Bella held up her hand and left the table. She watched as Seth and Jake played on the grass. Riley got up and walking to his car. Without looking back, he backed out of the spot and drove away.

Edward got up, crossing to Bella. He slid his arms around her waist and she snuggled back into his strength. She sniffled, wiping her cheeks, "Are you okay with what the boys said?"

"I'm their father, Bella. Blood doesn't make it so," he whispered. "Love does. I love you and I love the boys."

"They're going to need that love, Edward," Bella sighed.

"I'm not going anywhere, Bella," Edward said firmly, kissing her lips. "Now, let's help the boys remember that both their parents love them."

A/N: Riley ... the douchiest father I've ever written ... You LOVE to abhor him. No, you simply abhor him. I abhor him. He reminds me too much of my ex-husband.

Pictures from this chapter are on my blog. You can access that through a link on my profile. I'm also on Facebook: Tufano79's Twilight Fanfiction Appreciation. I'm on twitter, too: tufano79. Leave me your thoughts. Thank you for reading!