Chapter Sixteen

Disclaimer: None of this mine, nor will it ever be. The characters belong to Stephenie Meyer and I just like to play with Edward and Bella.

Also, thank you so much for your support for my writing. It means to me more than words can say.

I'm unsure if you'd heard, but one of our beloved fandom family members passed away a couple of weekends ago. Dee Creston, lovingly known as FangirlinGrandmaDee, died peacefully and surrounded by family. This chapter is dedicated to one of the kindest, warmest and friendliest members of our TwiFamily. Her love of fic and her encouraging words will be missed, tremendously.

From me to you, Dee, {GIANT TUFANO HUGS AND SMOOCHES} ... always and forever.

"The key to realizing a dream is to focus not on success but on significance – and then even the small steps and little victories along your path with take on greater meaning."
Oprah Winfrey

Chapter Sixteen

The move that Riley made had thrown Edward for a loop. Riley just took the boys' decision away from them. That night, after he'd dropped that bombshell on Bella, as Seth was sleeping, he found Riley's phone number and he programmed it into his own phone. The next day, he called it and was shocked when Riley picked up.

"Riley Biers," he said curtly.

"Um, hello," Edward mumbled.

"Who is this?"

"My name is Edward Cullen and I've been dating Bella for about a year now," Edward answered.

"She told you about what I did," Riley sighed.

"Yes, she did and it boggles my mind that you would give up so easily," Edward muttered. "Bella was a mess after you told her and she was so upset for the boys. Do you think that they want me as their father?"

"You're more of a father than me, Edward," Riley answered. "I've seen you with them. My sons smile and they play."

"I think you should see them," Edward blurted. "You need to tell them. They need to understand why you're walking away from them. Right now, they feel discarded. Seth is terrified that I'm going to leave him. A few months ago, Bella transferred therapists because I wasn't pushing her far enough. Seth thought that I'd walk away from them, like you. They blame themselves."

"It's not their fault, Edward," Riley said.

"They need to hear that from you," Edward snapped. "You may be willing to give them up, but they need to know your decision and to hear from you. Not from me and certainly not from Bella. You need to be a man and explain to them why you're doing this. You're a coward to not want to see them." Riley was quiet, obviously processing what Edward had said. "Give them a chance to say goodbye to you, if they accept what you have to say."

"Does Bella know you're calling me?" Riley asked

"No, and she would probably kick my ass," Edward snorted.

"I still love her, Edward. I hate what I did to her," Riley muttered. "What I did to my family."

"Why did you?"

"I wasn't strong enough to handle a woman in a wheelchair," Riley replied. "I thought I could do it, but seeing her struggle for each movement ... I just couldn't watch her wither away."

"As you saw yesterday, she did not wither," Edward growled, barely able to control his temper. "She still struggles with low self-esteem and fear of rejection because your little stunt, Riley. I don't let her dwell and I show her how much I adore her every moment of every day. She is the strongest woman I know. She refused to give up, even when her doctors and her husband did."