Halo: The Master Chief Collection (Xbox One)

Over the years there have been defining videogame series. Super Mario, Sonic the Hedgehog, Resident Evil, Final Fantasy. Most of which have not only been consistently good games (with the exceptions of recent Sonic & Resi titles) from their first game all the way to their most recent and each of them have defined the genre they call home, culminating a fanbase of millions and creating a name so synonymous with gaming itself, you find it hard to think of a world without them.

Halo is one such name. One that has not only made itself a household name since its first iteration in 2001 but also revolutionised the console FPS on several occasions and was even the game responsible for making Microsoft's Xbox brand the success it is today. Without Halo, the gaming landscape would be a very different place indeed.

One of the largest contributors to Online Multiplayer on home consoles was 2004's Halo 2, so to celebrate 10 years since the games launch, Microsoft and Halo's current developer set on the task of creating the definitive Halo experience for the Xbox One. A game that not only celebrated Halo 2's 10th birthday but by celebrating all things Halo, a love letter to fans in the best way possible. A compilation of John-117's, the Master Chief's, epic journey to save humanity from a zealous alien race bent on false religious salvation, from a parasitic organism that seeks to consume all in its path and of course our long dead creators.

Long-time Halo fans. Newcomers. Welcome to the Master Chief Collection, the definitive Halo experience.

The Collection

The Master Chief Collection is the culmination of 13 years of FPS history, four full games, 40 story missions, 110 multiplayer maps, content creation suite, player customisation features, 4500 Gamerscore across 400 achievements and hundreds of new & returning easter eggs for the dedicated Halo fans and community.

The collection features all four numbered entries in the series, the games that follow the story of the Master Chief. A port of 2011's Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary now running at 1080p, 60FPS with new achievements and bonus features.

The star of the package, Halo 2 Anniversary, a ground up remake of the 2004 classic running on a brand new engine designed for the Xbox One, a complete re-envisioning of the games graphics allowing it to be brought forward into 2014, all new CG cinematics created by industry leading studio Blur as well as achievements and new bonus features, running at 1328x1080, 60FPS.

A port of 2007's Halo 3 now running at 1080p, 60FPS with new achievements and bonus features and finally a port of 2012's Halo 4 running at 1080p, 60FPS with new achievements and bonus features.

Alongside this you have every Halo map from Halo 1-4 ever, including the previously PC exclusive maps and previously DLC exclusive maps. Each of them accessible in a game specific multiplayer suite, allowing for each games individual physics and weapon behaviours.

Halo 3&4's forge mode also returns allowing for the ever spectacular creative community to make custom maps for private matches over Xbox Live or Split Screen multiplayer.

This is an insane amount of content provided in one collection and what makes the collection even sweeter is its all on one disc, all accessible through one very well designed menu system that not only tucks everything away neatly so you wont get lost, but also makes it look very clean and fitting with the distinctive Halo sci-fi aesthetic.

But how does each game break down? Good thing I'm going to take you through each title then.

Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary

Originally released in 2001, Halo: CE was the system seller for the Xbox, it was the game to own. It re-wrote the rules as to what a console FPS could be, with large open environments, dynamic weather systems, intelligent A.I, and gorgeous visuals...oh and how could you forget those unrivalled gameplay mechanics?