Far Cry (PC, Xbox)

Back in ye olde days computers weren’t made for games, you had to hand build & upgrade your PC until your bank broke. But when gaming computers began to emerge so did Crytek, the company with 1 goal in mind...to melt your new computer.

Far Cry was the first title from Crytek, an FPS with a non-linear mission layout. Nothing special right? Well when you look at its super refined gunplay and mind blowing graphics for the early 00's you can understand why Far Cry has been a hit amongst PC gamers for years.

You play as Jack Carver, an ex-special forces guy who has left to pursue a quieter life. Now running his own sailing company Jack is hired by Valerie Constantine to sail around the South Pacific, when the boat is attacked, Valerie taken and Jack left for dead in the wreckage you decide to go to the nearby island in search of Valerie. You encounter strong security resistance and soon learn the horrifying secrets of the island. The story isn’t Far Cry's strongest point but gives the game a purpose. It makes you feel as if you are playing for a reason and not just being some Rambo wannabe. However in the middle to latter stages of the game the story completely falls apart and you begin to question why they didn’t just make you a Rambo wannabe.

The shooting mechanics in the game are among the best in the genre. You have your standard weapon set of pistol, machine gun, SMG etc with only 1 of each kind, the weapons themselves need varying tactics to use effectively and will need to be mastered quickly as ammo conservation is key in Far Cry especially if you prefer a stealthy approach. With hubs for levels rather than a set linear pathway in mind Crytek decided upon letting you choose how to play, you can have your sniper rifle, pistol and machete at the ready for some stealth action or you can have your assault rifle, SMG and rocket launcher for the more guns blazing types. However what they didn’t account for was the ammo for each type of player, sniper ammo is extremely scarce with only 5-10 bullets per level if you're lucky, plus most later maps are designed for the less stealthy player. My load out would usually consist of assault rifle, SMG, sniper and rocket launcher as I tried to use the island to my advantage most of my time and enter through various different areas to kill of security guards, usually requiring a number of different weapon types. Vehicles also play a key part in most missions, the scale of the levels are usually quite large requiring a vehicle to traverse them quicker, vehicles such as Jeeps and boats are commonly littered throughout the levels. Vehicle handling is good but the Jeep is a little floaty and seems to soar over small bumps rather than just drive over them.

Im surprised I got so far into this review without mentioning graphics but I suppose the time has come. Far Cry was developed in 2004 and could easily compete with games from 2010 and even tops some current games. Crytek pour their heart and soul into creating a visually appealing game and that is clearly visible in Far Cry. Golden sand which shifts with each wave from the sea, the sea itself is clear blue and teems with plant life making it a true beauty to behold. Water also reflects the cloud movement in the sky and your character. The jungle areas of the island are a luscious mix of greens, reds, oranges and browns, plants react to your movement and insects make little noises around you as the wood on trees creaks and moans in the wind. Far Cry is a technical masterpiece and amazing on the higher specs if you own a PC that can handle it.

And so the review is over, If you do now own Far Cry it is a must own for any PC gamer but make sure you have a rig that can handle it, don’t go underestimating it just because it was made in 2004. FPS's like Far Cry and Half-Life don’t come around often but when they do its always a treat to play them, not to mention they will live on in the history books for one reason or another in years to come.

Far Cry – 7/10

+Good Gameplay
+Great Graphics
-X-Ray Eyed A.I
-Not A Great Story