Chapter Seven

Chapter 7

I never thought I'd end up here again, but the holiday season is coming up so I suppose it was bound to happen. Some people are swaying to the beat that's filling the room, others are chatting in groups, and one couples already getting it on against the wall.

"What are you thinking about?"

I tear my eyes away from the couple and focus my gaze on Zack. "That I have two papers due this week and yet I'm here instead of in my dorm room."

He laughs before tipping back the red plastic cup in his hand. "So I guess that's why I haven't seen you here in awhile," he says after swallowing and I nod. "Trent will be happy to see you, though." I slyly ignore the comment by going back to surveying the scene around us. I haven't seen Trent yet, but I'm kind of hoping I won't. For some reason I've been trying to avoid him lately and I don't know what that reason even is.

"Do you guys come to the frat house every weekend?" I ask turning my attention back over to Zack and he shrugs.

"Mostly."

"Trent said it's because you guys are friends with a few guys that live here." Once the words are out I immediately want to take them back. One minute I say I'm avoiding him and then the next minute I'm bringing him into the conversation.

"We're good friends with two of them. You see over there behind the bar is Josh." I follow his gaze across the room spotting a guy with spiked up brown hair and dark carmel skin that seems to be glowing under the minimal lights hanging over the bar as he pours shots for a few girls. "And then that guy over there, surrounded by the mob of girls, is Asher." He head nods to the other back corner and I nod catching sight of the guy he's referring to. Even from across the room I find myself noticing just how structured his jawline is and I bet that's key reason as to why he's being stared at like a zoo animal. "Then the other guys we hang out with are Brad, Dave, Kyle," Zack continues while pointing around the room. "Tyler." He points back to the couple making out against the wall and I have no idea who he's talking about, but absorb the information nonetheless.

"Here." Stephanie comes out of a opening in the crowd and shoves a cup in my hand while pulling a piece of pink hair out of her mouth.

I shake my head and go to give it back to her. "I don't want—"

"Oh come' on! Live a little," she deadpans before tipping her cup back.

"Yeah, peas, you might as well enjoy it while you're here." Zack nods towards the cup in my hand and my lips part again as nerves curve around my spine.

"But I—"

"Lacie," Stephanie sighs. "Have you ever gotten drunk before?"

"Yes."

"Well, then—wait you have?" Both Stephanie and Zack throw me curious gazes and I shrink a little under their stares.

"I've had a wine cooler at some family gatherings..."

Zack shakes his head and taps my cup with his. "That's not the same, just try a little."

"Yeah, I won't even drink, so I'll make sure nothing bad happens to you." Stephanie hands her cup off to a complete stranger as they pass and I laugh at the look the guy throws her a look in response.

"Now you see, that's a good friend." Zack nods again before tipping the rest of his cup back.

"Please?" Stephanie pulls a puppy dog face and I raise my brow at both of them.

"You guys know you are both exhibiting peer pressure, right?" They both give me a hard look and I bring my hands up in surrender. "Alright, one cup, but only because you two are actually agreeing on something." I send a wary glance between them before my eyes land back on Stephanie. "And you're not going to drink?" She shakes her head crisscrossing a finger over her chest.