CHAPTER TWO: ICE BREAKING

Are you sure you have everything?" my mom asks. It's the same question she's been asking me for the last two weeks—heck, the last month—only this time I really take the time to consider the question instead of automatically giving a huffed out affirmation.

     If I'm being rational, like the biology major I am, I can say yes. Almost everything I own and then some is now stuffed up in dorm room 314 on the third floor of Pemberley Hall.

     If I'm being philosophical, like the core class I have to take this semester that I'm trying really hard not to dread, does anyone ever truly have everything?

     "I think so." I finally say when I realize my family hasn't stopped staring at me as we stand in the middle of the sidewalk on the outskirts of one of the many parking lots surrounding the campus.

     My mom shrugs her purse higher up on her shoulder and clasps her hands together. "Your toothbrush?"

     I nod.

     "Toothpaste?"

     I nod again.

     "Floss? Deodorant?"

     "You don't want to stink." Layla chimes in, and I shove her arm.

     "Shower shoes? Because there are so many germs," my mom continues as if she's talking to herself before her eyes meet mine again. "Shampoo, conditioner, shower gel. Towels! How about towels? Do you have enough towels?"

     "Maybe we should go buy you some more towels." My dad finally chimes in, untucking his navy blue polo from his khaki shorts. "We'll just head back up the street. I'll check the gps." He whips out his phone and almost drops the car keys in the process before my parents begin whispering and nodding.

     "You guys." I laugh. "I think I'm . . ." My words falter when I'm met with all their eyes again. For a second, I'm hesitating along with them, but then I take a deep breath. My smile returns as I say the words that, over the past couple of days, I've been willing myself to believe. "I'm okay."

     My mom opens her mouth to say something but then decides against it and clasps her hands in front of her again. "Okay," my mom says with an affirmative nod. "Okay," she repeats as she quickly waves a hand in front of her face before she pulls me into a hug. We both share an inhale. I specifically inhale the cool powdery scent that is her perfume and essentially my childhood. I'm almost taken back at the thought before my mom gives me one of her signature squeezes. "I love you," she whispers into my ear before she turns her head and places a chaste kiss to my temple.

     "I love you too," I mumble into her chest before we both pull away, so I can embrace my dad.

     "Have fun," he says as he plants a big wet kiss on the top of my head. "But not too much fun." He flicks his sunglasses down to cover his eyes, no doubt covering whatever possible emotion that could be clouding over his eyes, making my heart squeeze on the inside but I laugh on the outside.

     "Love you, too."

     I don't think I could have ever prepared for the look on my little sister's face. Her cheeks aren't just red, but so is her forehead and the tip of her nose. The only reason I know it's not sunburn is because of the tears rolling down her cheeks that she's quick to swat and slap away. But the sadness still glistens in her eyes, melting her dark chocolate irises, and weighs on her shoulders. I yank her into my chest before my own tears can flood down my face. She wraps her arms around me and, just like my mom, squeezes me with all her might.