Chapter Six

Chapter Six

Halloween came and went. The big oak tree got toilet papered by some frat boys, Stephanie, Megan, and Savannah dressed up and went to a party, and I stayed in my dorm, did homework, and stuffed my face with candy.
Lots and lots of candy.

I wrap my jacket tighter around myself before opening the heavy glass door to the small café. The bells chime and the cool November wind falls behind my back as the door closes behind me. I sigh into the heat of the room while stepping into line along with the other customers. Breathing in, the smell of cinnamon and coffee hits my nose making me scrunch it up a little. The place seems to have a white, grey, and lime green theme to it, giving it a natural and homey atmosphere.

After waiting in line for a few minutes, I finally reach the front of the line and come face to face with a smiling barista.

"Can I have a small vanilla chai tea, please?" I ask just before someone presses up against my back, pushing me further into the counter and allowing me to be swallowed by their warmth and the weight of their muscles.

"And I'll take a small hot chocolate, please," that muscular someone says in a deep, but familiar voice behind me before a hand reaches out and tosses a twenty dollar bill on the counter. The barista goes off to get our orders and I turn around coming face to face with Trent.

I raise my brow. "You know I can pay for my own drink."

He cups his ear with his hand. "I'm sorry, what was that? Oh, thank you, Trent, for being so generous and paying for my coffee." He drops his hand. "Or should I say tea." I scoff and slap his chest, moving one of his sweatshirt strings. His eyebrows go up in surprise and my cheeks immediately redden at the realization that I just touched him, voluntarily, without thinking.

Luckily the barista comes back, diverting our attentions away from my embarrassment and leaving us to take our drinks. However, I don't miss the satisfactory grin that stretches across Trent's face and deciding not to promote it, I head towards the door while he gets his change. I hold the door open with one hand, intending for a green eyed boy to pass through, and eventually he does, only after a few other appreciative people. Although I've only been outside for a few seconds, I can already feel the chilly air turning the tip of my nose red as we both turn to start walking the few blocks back to campus. My boot covered feet pass over an orange leaf that's glued to the pavement seeing as the rain from the other day brought most of them down.

"Thank you," I raise my warm foam cup up in Trent's direction, "for paying, you really didn't have to."

"It was my pleasure." Trent mock bows with a swing of his hand before his playful expression turns serious again. "I'm glad you took my recommendation, but," he pauses, sending me a sideways glance. "You got tea instead of hot chocolate." I give him a sheepish smile holding the styrofoam cup closer to my chest and he shakes his head, casting his gaze in front of us. "I should've known though." I give him a puzzled look, but he throws his hand up as if talking to himself. "I mean vanilla cake, vanilla perfume, and now," he glances back over at me as if calling a finally verdict. "Vanilla tea." I shake my head as we stop at the end of the sidewalk and wait for cars to pass.

"Well, then I guess you have me all figured out now, huh?" I glance straight ahead and seeing as there's no more cars, I step off the curb, leaving him to ponder my question.

"Actually," he starts, jogging his way to catch up to me on the next sidewalk. "I don't."

My eyebrows pull together. "You don't?"

"Nope." He shakes his head. "Actually," he steps in front of me, stopping me from walking, and leaving us both standing in the middle of the sidewalk. "I really can't figure you out."