CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO: SIMMER DOWN

If only time could mimic steps. Sometimes I want time to walk alongside me. Other times I want it to run right passed me.

     It always does the opposite.

     I've been back in my routine. Wake up, run, class, homework, sleep, and repeat. If only I could just run away these last few weeks of classes. Pound time away into the cement with my sneaker.

     "Another run?" Stephanie's annual question of the day.

    Today, I just laugh and run in place before closing the door behind me.

     My ponytail swings back and forth along to beat echoing in my ears from my earbuds. I walk down to the center of campus as a warmup before beginning to run.

     I run away the assignments I have to do when I get back. I run away the dread of other assignments due in the future. I run away the dull routine of today. Most importantly, I run away the slight sting in my chest that still burns every time I catch a glimpse of dirty blonde hair.

     "Did you know you even have a freckle inside your iris? Right there below your pupil."

     It was cold this morning, but now the sun is out and searing my skin. It doesn't take long for my underarms, the back of my neck, and under my nose to feel slicked with sweat. I also have to alternate my phone between my hands whenever the sweat starts to build there.

     All the pounding of my feet, my heart, and my blood comes to a stop when I glance up from my sneakers. The same way a flower stretches its petals to the sun, or when two squirrels duel for the same nut.

     "Wait!"

     My feet scrape against the pavement as I turn around and head back in the other direction. I didn't stretch enough for sprints, but my heartbeat is already ahead of my music. I can feel people glancing back as I pass them, but I keep pushing. I keep pounding. I keep praying that frayed shoelace comes undone and trips him. Gashes and scrapes and blood.

     "I like you too." The blood had rushed straight from my heart and right to my cheeks, but it didn't matter because he smiled at me. He smiled that rare, teeth showing, million-dollar smile.

     "Lacie," Trent breathes. He finally manages to grip my elbow and turn me around to face him.

     I rip my arm away but that's the only thing I can manage to do in between sucking in deep breaths. Trent's chest heaves up and down as he attempts to do the same.

     I taste blood when I swallow. That's how I know this is going to hurt tomorrow and not just physically.

     Trent's lips part, but then a car beeps and jolts both of us back into reality. We both take a step towards the parked cars beside us, so we don't get hit by the car trying to maneuver through the parking lot.

     There's both sweat and wrinkles on Trent's grey t-shirt, but the frayed shoelace is still intact. His hands are on his hips as he continues to breathe in through his chest before he walks the few steps over to the curb and plops down.

     He digs his hands into his hair as he shakes his head. "I'm sorry for chasing you." He looks up. "And for . . ." His head falls back down between his legs. "Everything."

     Everything.

     Everything that used to be so crystal clear, so warm and fuzzy, now makes my eyes squeeze shut and my head shake.