Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

I jut out my lower lip in attempt to blow a fly away piece of hair out of my face as I stare down at the notebook in my lap, but when it doesn't move I reach up and tuck it behind my ear. Sighing, I reluctantly look back down at the work in front of me. Procrastination has really gotten the best of me with this one because I really don't feel like doing this assignment. I relentlessly tap my pen against the page as I try to read the words in front of me, but my brain just won't absorb them. Then my phone dings beside me and even though I shouldn't, I pick it up, accepting the distraction.

Come cuddle with me.

A goofy smile spreads across my lips before I can stop it and I unlock my phone to text back.

No.

I wait a few seconds turning back to the notebook in my lap and busy myself with rearranging some scattered papers across my bed before my phone dings again.

*Hang outstupid autocorrect.

I shake my head.

How about in a few hours? I just have to finish this assignment.

I turn back to my notebook and scribble something down before my phone lights up again.

Okay, cool. See you in a bit.

I stretch my arm out and put my phone back on my nightstand before looking back down at the endless amount of words in front of me. Okay, willpower, don't fail me now.

****

I glance up at the grey sky one more time before wrenching open the door to the boy's dorm building. I make my way up the stairs playing with my sweatshirt zipper, relentlessly pulling it up and down the chain. Sliding against the wall, I dodge a group of running guys before making it to Trent's door. I hear some mumbling voices as I bring my hand up and lightly knock two times. I hear heavy footsteps before the door opens and Zack pokes his head out making me pull back a little.

"Trent's at the frat house."

"Oh." I look down. "Okay." I look back up at Zack only to see he's tapping his finger against the door impatiently. Then I notice his bare shoulders and my eyebrows furrow. "Zack are you—?"

"Zack," a high pitched voice purrs, "are you coming back to bed?" My mouth drops open and Zack nods, his lips curling into a straight line, answering my question.

"Oh my god," I slap a hand over my eyes. "I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." I turn around and quickly walk away while hearing Zack laugh behind me before the door slams shut.

Making it out of the building I stop and take in a few deep breaths still registering what just happened before bursting into laughter. Well, that definitely makes the top ten list of most awkward encounters I've ever had in my entire life.

Sighing, I start trudging my way in the direction of the frat houses. I could call Trent, but I'm already outside. Plus, the houses are only a few blocks away, so it's a pretty quick walk.

Making it to the front door, I bring my hand up and debate whether, or not I should knock. Then going with my gut I bang my fist against the door three times before quickly retracting my hand and taking a step back, unsure who will answer.

I wait a minute, picking at my finger nails.

Another minute rolls by as a brisk, still not exactly spring, wind blows past me, whipping a few strands of my hair around.

Screw it.

I twist open the door and peek my head inside. I glance to my left, then to my right, and not seeing anyone I take a slow step inside. I lightly close the door behind me before jumping back at the sound of a crash. Warily, I turn around while also hearing the squeaking of chip bags and mumbling.