CHAPTER TWENTY: STUPID MEANINGLESS THINGS

The sky is still grey, the rain has stopped, and my throat is dry.

     My legs wobble a little as I stand up, but I still manage to wipe at my cheeks and grab my backpack. I allow my legs to carry me forward into the building all the while thinking about water and the bathroom. My water bottle and the toilet. The toilet and the sink. The toilet, the sink, and the shower.

     "Ay! Look who it is!" Stephanie's greeting usually makes me smile, but I don't even look up.

     "Red face, messy hair"—Savannah begins slapping Stephanie's arm repeatedly— "they totally did it."

     "No way!" Stephanie bellows before they both begin shoving and smacking each other on the bed. Their bickering fills the silence like it always does while I gather up my toiletries.

     Megan slowly swivels around in Stephanie's desk chair. I can feel her eyes on me in my peripheral vision, but I still don't look up. Sweatpants, flip flops, face wash. I continue the check list as I continue piling clothes on top of my shower bag.

     It's only when I can hear my rainboots clomping against the floor again that I realize silence has taken over the room. I focus on assessing my pile. Towel, hair towel, extra towel.

     If only Stephanie and Savannah would start bickering again. If only I remembered to shut my phone off.

     But it's too late.

     I've finally caught on to the buzzing. It's persistent. It probably hasn't stopped since I walked in.

     If only I was the only one listening.

     I clomp my way over to my backpack and quickly hold down my phone's power button before I can read just how many missed calls and texts. I whirl back around, but, once again, it's too late. My head lifts for the first time since I walked in.

     Stephanie's shoulders sag. "Red rimmed eyes."

****

"I can't believe this. No, screw that! I can't believe him!" Stephanie continues to wave her hands around.

     Savannah snorts. "The definition of an ass and a hole."

     Megan's hair shakes as she fervently nods along.

     I continue to stare up at them as they pace around me. My hair is now wet from my shower, but I don't know about Savannah's. Hers could be wet from the rain, her practice, or her shower after practice. It's the first time I've ever seen her long hair down. Even though she's still wearing her head band.

     Stephanie's hair is thrown up in a bun that continues to bounce around with her movements. Her pink toes are poking out of her plaid pajama bottoms, while Savannah and I are wearing socks.

     Megan's tan moccasin slippers continue to scrap against the floor as she completes the carousel of pacing and ranting above me. I've almost been tempted to start humming carnival music as I lay on the floor. I've even lifted my arms up a few times in mock conducting before dropping them back down.

     I initially came back from my shower to an empty room. Nothing but me and the walls and the chatter down the hall. The laughter echoed every once and a while like firecrackers, and the whispers lingered, swept under the cracks in the doors. I want to say it's because they were all giving me space, but I know better. I know I only have myself to blame.

     Stephanie was at her study group. Savannah was at practice. Megan was at some poetry night or club or something. All while I was just laying here. I can't blame them.