Colleagues

Sakura melted into Kakashi's embrace, his fastened heartbeat at her ear. Lub dub, lub dub, lub dub... it felt like... home. Snuggling even closer, she whimpered soundlessly under her breath. She shouldn't be this weak, not at her age, not in her position, she shouldn't expect any comfort from him, but why fight it... she was physically and emotionally exhausted and the promise of solace from his open arms was simply too tempting.

The last week had been torture. Too much was going on, she was drowning in work and was struggling to adjust back into her previous life - she had felt extremely sorry towards Kakashi for disappointing him, then extremely angry about his petty childishness the next second, opposing emotions that put her heart through the wringer.

Interacting with people was hard. Interacting with people you liked was even harder especially when communication had broken down.

I'm just going to hug him forever, she thought, pressing him a little more firmly to herself, this muscular, masculine body that radiated warmth, strength, security... and... her hands had traveled down his back all by themselves, were already resting on the upper end of his buttocks. ... the promise of extremely good sex. With a muffled squeal, she pulled her hands away to safe territory, up to the small of his back.

Her heart started beating very fast. An innocent hug between them was an impossibility, she should have known. Her hormones went into overdrive. The heat from his body spread into hers and she was beginning to burn anew, just as defenseless as the first time and none the wiser.

"Hmm," he sighed against her hair, tightening his own arms a little more.

And then, a whisper from his lips, sending goosebumps over her skin: "I feel an almost overwhelming need to kiss you."

"N... no," she exclaimed against his chest. There were no innocent hugs between them and kissing would inevitably lead to the next step, to clothes being shed, to carnal hungers being satiated... wasn't it as obvious to him as it was to her? They couldn't go there. After having burnt themselves once, who would willingly put their hand into the fire again?

"You don't like kissing?" he sounded honestly surprised and a little offended. "I thought I'm a good kisser."

Oh god, stop!

She lifted her face to look up at him. That smirk...

"Are you doing this deliberately?" she asked him in a shaking voice, "you're enjoying yourself, aren't you."

"Not nearly enough," he said, lifting a hand to trace something on her face... the marks of the seal, she realized, they had to be still visible. Luckily, she had not needed to use all her stored chakra, but she needed to work on restoring the Seal diligently for a few days. Releasing it had hurt her, the pain leaving a vicious echo in her body.

"Can I kiss this at least," he asked and was already bending forward to put his lips against the diamond mark between her brows. His lips underneath his mask. With a dissatisfied grunt he pulled his face back and his mask down before pressing them against her forehead.

Her eyes fell shut forcefully at the sudden sensory overload in her nerves and for a moment, it felt to her like she was shot into the starless void, tumbling aimlessly yet without fear because he held her to himself even when her legs wanted to buckle.

"Well," he said, "you should probably go to sleep."

But that wasn't it.

"Do it again, please," she whispered and he did without asking any questions, his lips sending gentle waves of tingling energy down her body, the weakened seal a conduit for his lightning release chakra.