Chapter 8 (Part 1)

After a few seconds, the mine was no more but a blank wall. I stare at it with amazement and confusion. I look around at everyone else's expression, and to my surprise, they don't seem phased at all. I look back to where the mine once stood. Steve, stepping out of the miners way so that they would be able to cut a 3x3 hole in the wall.

"Ah, Brody. How are you this fine day?" Steve asked, approaching me.
"I'm good. You?"
"Not so well unfortunately." He replies. I look at him blankly, unaware of the current situation. He shakes his head for a moment, clearing his mind.

"The creators of this wonderful game are going to change things, and these changes won't be pleasant." He states grimly. Before I can ask him, he walks off. I stand there, confused and curious. What did he mean by, 'Changes'? Did he mean an update? I have no idea what it is, but Steve seems like he doesn't want to talk about it. I'll ask him later... Right now, I must head back to Curlos.

...

Once I arrive I notice something off about Curlos' hut. I enter the small hut, looking around. Soon the small Curlos enters the room with an disturbed look. I slowly approach her with curiosity.

"Curlos?" I ask with slight worry. She stares up at me with distraught.

"What is it?" I ask, my voice trailing off. She doesn't reply. I let out an impatient sigh, but I know I shouldn't pry. I walk over to the small table at the side of the hut and sit, crossing my arms. I look down at the table, I can hear Curlos shuffling around by the potions shelf. I glance at her before shifting into a more comfortable position. I stare at the table, lost in thought of the whole Update thing.

I hear the bubbles popping in the cauldron from where Curlos works. I fiddle with the gold nuggets, sighing. Another topic comes to mind as I fiddle with the shiny items. I was reminded of the girl within the mine. She said something about being able to see my name and that it was almost like an option you could choose between. I cant help but dwell on that and the upcoming update. Connor had been on this game longer than I have, surely there would already have been an update. If Mojang was so keen on keeping everyone here, there should be updates almost every day. There are smart players and hackers out there. They should be able to get out if they put their mind to it.

The more I think about it, the more my brain hurts. I quickly turn my mind to a different topic. And of course, I begin thinking about that girl who was sent out into the world again. I don't recall Steve explaining any rules when we arrived. Or maybe he has. I cant remember it off hand, but it will come to me eventually.

"Ah, shi-!" Curlos exclaims before being cut off. A large puff of black smoke flies from the cauldron and I get to my feet, rushing over to her.

"Curlos?" I ask frantically, panicking as my "heart" beats in my chest.

"I'm fine, boy. I just fumbled a potion." She replies sharply. I back down, and give her some room.

"Should I get more supplies?" I keep it calm and casual, but Curlos ignores me and continues her work. I shrug quietly and go back to my table, sitting down in my chair and wait for her to call for me to help.

...

I bolt awake, looking around, gasping. I fell asleep on the job. Not the first time, but whatever. I sigh and narrow my eyes at my hands. I begin to think about the small dream I had. It was a stupid little dream of me playing a game on minecraft... Blowing up things and having fun... Good times. But at the end of the dream, a creeper blew me up. Luckily I couldn't feel it. I was interested by it though.

I get up and sigh, walking about the small shack, having nothing to do. Curlos eventually comes over and hits my head with a stick, telling me that I'm in the way and I should go home. I say my goodbyes, knowing that Curlos would hit me again if I offered my help. I shrug it off and do as I am told, seeing how the lights were already turning off.

As I walk home, I notice something within the shadows. It looks like a figure of some sort. The eyes are a dark gold and I can distinctly see black hair. I notice the eyes aren't staring at me, but off to the side. I follow it's gaze to see it staring at Curlos' hut. I freeze and hide so I'm not out in the open. I keep a close eye on this player, if it is one.

I watch it blink once, then close its eyes, disappear into the still night. I blink, hoping my eyes would adjust to the darkness, but it proves to be more difficult. I close my eyes for a few seconds, trying to help my eyes adjust faster until something kicks me forward. I let out a surprised yelp of pain as I land.

I roll and hear a foot stomp where my back would be. I keep rolling as the player attempts to stomp on me. I jump up and ready my fists, staring at the dark player. The player seemed to be wearing a dark ninja suit, black hair and gold eyes. I breathe heavily, waiting for his next move.