Rock Throwers.

"Loving you comes in waves. Tonight, I'm drowning." - Anonymous.

Chapter 36 - Rock Throwers. 

I slowly walked to the window and peered out. Luckily, my room afforded a good view of the street, so I saw the exact moment of when about a hundred men rounded the corner. I felt a little faint - in a good way - as I observed Zach, who was heaved on two of his friends shoulders, laughing joyously, the smile never leaving his face. 

As the singing of the men grew louder, the thump thump of my heart intensified, almost as if my heart was situated right in my ear. I waited a good ten minutes until I heard the whoops and cheers from inside the house, signifying Zach had entered and was now waiting for me downstairs. 

“You can do this, Yasmine. You can do this,” I whisper-chanted to myself.

I took one last glance at myself in the mirror, made sure my white silk hijab was perfected in place and cautiously walked towards my bedroom door. Just as I stepped foot into the hallway, I nearly bumped into an almost hyperventilating Salma. 

“You alright there,” I asked amusedly. 

She put her hands on her knees and sucked in deep gulps of air. “Was…just…coming to…tell you…to come down,” she heaved, and then straightened up properly. 

“I think someone needs to hit the gym.” She glared at me, and if it wasn’t for the fact that it was my wedding day, she probably would’ve launched herself at me, wild styles. I chuckled at her narrowed eyes.

Turning to face the stairs again, all traces of humour seeped out of my body. I bit my lip and smoothed down my dress. 

“You ready?” Salma’s low voice penetrated the silent air around us, as she stepped up beside me. 

“He’s down there right now.” I said, more of a statement than a question. 

“Yep. And I can tell he’s yearning to see you. So, go on.” She gave me a watery smile, before squeezing my hand for added strength. 

Feeling a sudden bout of emotion again, I gave her a quick peck on the cheek and encased her in a bone crushing hug. “Thanks for everything Salma.” I knew I wouldn’t have the time later on to say this to her, so I took the chance while I had it. “I love you like a sister and that’s not going to change, OK?” 

I felt her nod against my shoulder, yet she remained quiet. I pulled away, somewhat reluctantly, and finally began to descend the stairs that would eventually lead me to Zach. To the person who I would be spending the rest of my life with. 

They were obviously waiting for my arrival, because as soon as my foot came in contact with the first step, the immediate sound of drums being played filled my ears, completely overtaking the sound of my furiously beating heart. 

I spotted Zach at the bottom of the stairs, surrounded by the members of both our families. Judging from Zach’s facial features - and believe me, I knew them very well - he was finding it equally difficult to breathe. I sent him my best hundred-watt smile, which he returned, then promptly focused on putting one foot in front of the other.

Don’t you dare trip.

No longer had I reached the bottom, than I felt my hand being embraced by Zach’s large, warm one. I trailed my eyes from our intertwined hands, up Zach’s arm, to be met with his mesmerising green orbs. He raised my hand and kissed the back of it, his eyes never breaking sight with mine. The world around us came to a standstill, both of us drifting off to comprehend the reality that not too long ago, seemed like a distant dream. The hustle and bustle around us was forgotten and even the strong sound of the drums had been tuned out. The flashing lights from the camera had no effect on us.