Survival.

"Sometimes even to live is an act of courage." - Seneca 

Dedicated to @yasmeena- because she was my first ever supporter! Therefore you shall be cherised in my heart forever XD  

(For those who do not understand Arabic terminology please don't forget I put definitions at the end of each chapter) 

Chapter 12 - Survival

As soon as the fateful spinning sound of the F16 engines met our ears, Noah and I bolted upright, running to all the windows and doors. It was vital that the windows were left open, reducing the amount of broken glass that would follow after a missile was dropped.

“Zach!” I yelled. I was out of breath, dashing from one window to the other, but the adrenaline pumping through my veins urged me onwards, even though my mind and heart felt like they were about to shut down. 

He turned his head quizzically, apparently not realising the sudden danger we were all in, too fixated on tending to a little boy who had passed out. His eyes scanned the chaotic room until they finally landed on my running form. 

“Get everyone into the dining hall. Now!” He frowned, seemingly confused as to why I had become so panicked. On cue, the sound of the screeching F16 emerged slowly and then intensified as it passed over our heads. His eyes widened and he immediately got up, lifting the young boy into his strong arms and began shouting orders to the workers and children.  

The dining hall was in the centre of the orphanage, placing us in the best possible position to maintain safety. Not wasting anytime, the children all began to file into the hall, the fear and distress clear on their faces. The air was thick with trepidation and the wailing cries of the youngest children, only added to the dreaded atmosphere. 

I could see Salma in the corner of the room, still trying to calm down Khaled. He was 14 years old but suffered from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and it was clear she was having difficulty in persuading him to move in to the next room. He had his arms wrapped around himself and was rocking back and forth, a sign that he had just experienced a negative flashback. 

“Noah, help Salma and carry Khaled into the room!” I called over to him, both of us at opposite sides of the room. Having opened all the windows and closed all the doors in the main entryway, there was still the two large rooms to be done; the male and female room quarters.  

I could tell Noah was conflicted as he didn’t want to leave me alone but he also needed to get Khaled to safety. 

“Go on, I’ll be fine!” He nodded and picked up Khaled as he was and I wasted no time in running down the hallway to the female quarter. I worked as fast as humanly possible, my hands moving at extreme speed to ensure all windows were opened. Within minutes I had finished and bolted to the males quarter just opposite. Not even pausing to catch my breathe I continued; unlock and slam the window open.

The orphanage was shaped as a long rectangle with the entry hall in the beginning followed by the dining hall and then the two living quarters divided by a long hallway. At the end of the hallway the wall was covered half by glass meaning I could see the outside terrain. I decided to look out as I emerged from the male room, my heart not being able to withstand not knowing if any damage had been done.  

And I knew in that moment I would regret ever looking out; if only I hadn’t taken that look, if only I hadn’t paused for just one moment. Because as my eyes scanned the deserted area, approximately 60 metres from me I saw the F16 stop in it’s flight and something fall from its rear. 

At that point, every thing went into slow motion. My brain and body were in such conflicts that it took me at least two seconds to register I should be running. I faintly heard people screaming at me from the other end of the hallway and it was then I pumped my burning legs forward and began running. I allowed the fear to propel me onwards my only aim being to get as far away as I possibly could from the helicopter.