Caged.

"Controllers, abusers and manipulative people don't question themselves. They don't ask themselves if the problem is them. They always say the problem is someone else." - Darlene Ouimet 

Dedicated to @MohamedTaqiullahShar because he gave me some really nice, motivating comments! And I think you're the first guy to read my story...or the first I know of! Anyways, thanks for your support!

~ Sorry this update was slow. This chapter required A LOT of research, questioning and making sure my information and knowledge was accurate. If you guys are confused or do have any questions let me know. A pretty dull chapter, but the next one...well. You guys will love the next one.

~ Picture of Erez border on the side. 

Chapter 26 - Caged. 

"What do you mean we're going to Jerusalem?" I questioned, scrunching my eyebrows in confusion. He said it so casually, as if leaving Gaza and travelling into an occupied area was the easiest thing in the world. 

"Well...we're going to try and get into Jerusalem. But we've got it all planned out, so it should be fine," Noah said.  

"Who's 'we'? And would you mind telling me why were going to try and go there?" I exhaled tiredly and massaged my temples. The vagueness of his words was slowly pissing me off. 

"By 'we', I mean me, you and Zach. Since Zach wants to go overseas, he needs a permit. Since it could take weeks or even months, he's decided to go and stay there until they, hopefully accept his request. Then, when they do he will leave straight from Jerusalem to Jordan and then from there, catch a flight to Sweden."  

"Woah, woah, woah. Hold up!" I screeched. Things were moving way too fast for my liking. Everything that Noah said made sense, I knew. Zach would need verification from the Israeli army to leave the country and that meant travelling all the way to Jerusalem, since that's where the embassy was located. "There is no way they're going to let us through the border," I stated, biting on my nails anxiously. 

"We've already applied online - so far things are good, but that might change once we get to the border. We'll try to negotiate our way in - after all me and you will only stay there for two days." I didn't understand how Noah wasn't stressed about this. The Erez border is run mostly by the Israeli military and the only people they allowed to travel through are UN workers, journalists and in some rare cases, extremely sick people, who needed medical care that wasn't available in Gaza. 

"I don't know about this Noah. It's not safe." I was worried, but I also couldn't wrap my head around the fact that so soon, Zach could be in a completely different country.  

"Yasmine, your best friend will be going away, for who knows how many years. The least you could do is give it a shot and try to bid him a proper farewell." Noah had a hidden look in his eyes but I couldn't quite pinpoint his emotion. He rubbed his jaw and then walked back over to the bed and sat down. He looked extremely exhausted, more than usual.

"Why are you so adamant about this? I thought you'd be more reluctant about this trip than me," I asked, skeptically.  

He sighed, the hidden look still present in his eyes. "His mum isn't going to leave obviously and Jacob can't afford to get off work. Who else will go with him and make sure he arrives safely, other than us?" Nodding my head, I went and sat back down next to him. He was right - there was nothing worse than leaving behind everyone and everything you loved - alone, especially in the circumstances we'd be travelling through.  

An automatic shiver coursed through my body as I remembered the last time I travelled through the Erez border, seven years ago. That was back when civilians could pass into the occupied areas, somewhat freely, but now it was extremely restricted.