Say What?!

"People will see such days that the killer will not know why he kills, nor the innocent why he is slain." - Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him) ~ [Muslim, Kitab al-Fitan: 56, (2098)] 

Dedicated to @HopesPrayersNSmiles for agreeing to do an interview with me! Keep an eye out, it'll be posted after Eid inshaAllah! 

~ Also if everyone could please follow the page @gazawritesback it's a new initiative me and @decemberrr have created. 

Chapter 14 - Say What?! 

“Yasmine! Yasmine, wake up!” Someone was shaking me by the shoulders viciously, my head lolling back and forth with the motion. I groaned, and lashed out blindly at the culprit, attempting to shoo them away. Until this day, no-one seems to understand the undying love I have for sleep. 

“What are you, a rock? Get up!” I faintly recognised Noah’s voice as my body began to awaken at a glacial pace, my surroundings coming into view - so far Noah’s large frame, looming over me was all I could see. 

“You’re such a pest,” I said, groaning and proceeding to curl up into foetal position. 

“You’re the one that looks like a cockroach right now,” he snickered. With my eyes closed and remaining in the same position, I kicked my right foot out to hit where I thought Noah’s leg was. 

“Fail,” he said. I hoped by not replying he’d just go away and let me return to my sleep, but alas, I had been bestowed with a persistent brother who didn’t understanding the meaning of ‘I don’t want to be breathing the same air as you right now.’ 

“I’m sick of this.” A few seconds on, and I felt my body being lifted off the ground and hauled over his broad shoulder violently. I yelped and smacked him on the back, my sleep-deprived brain urging on the wave of anger. 

“Noah! You’re forever waking me up from my sleep. I hate you!” I whined, beating my hands on his back with strenuous effort. I’m sure it was quite the sight - heck, I know I currently looked like a stubborn two year old who had been denied their favourite lolly.

But I didn’t care. Last night was the first night in the orphanage where I had actually slept soundly, despite my body aching in more than one area. 

Noah shifted me so that he had a firmer grip and as if on cue, the same stabbing pain shot through my back. I bit my lip to suppress a scream, instead digging my nails into his back, the pain causing my face to scrunch up unattractively. 

“Uh, Noah,” I heard Salma’s awkward voice drift towards us. “I think you’re hurting her.” As soon as he heard her voice, and on instinct he loosened his hold on me.  

“Uh…um. What? Sorry,” he muttered, unintelligently.  

“Wow Noah, when did you learn how to articulate words so eloquently?” I asked, my revenge for waking me up was fuelled by the skills of sarcasm. 

“Shutup Yasmine,” he said tightly. If I could guess, he’s gritting his teeth right now and attempting to hide his burnt cheeks. 

“He’s definitely hurting her. She looks like a constipated rat.” I looked up, watching as Zach walked towards us, grinning from ear to ear. What was it, ‘insult Yasmine from every category of species day.’  

“Why the hell are you so happy?” I mumbled, leaning my chin on Noah’s back and frowning at him grumpily.  

“Hmm,” he said, rubbing his chin and putting on his best, deep philosophical expression. “Maybe it’s because we can all step foot out that door today,” he said, his green eyes gleaming brightly at me.