38 Relevance

The next day starts off like the day before, except my morning routine is improved by impromptu kisses. When I leave for court, I’m smiling because I have my husband with me and I feel like it’s going to be a good day. After talking to Chris last night, I feel like we may have a chance. It’s reassuring.

Court starts slowly with the expert witnesses. They analyze my birth certificate and social security card, only to say that it’s real. Someone ran my blood against Clark’s and that came back as I expected. Unfortunately (and fortunately) I am his son. Bridget tells me in between witnesses that fact pretty much won our case.

But then, it’s Mum’s turn. And I’ve never seen her more determined. It starts off easy; her name, her relation to me, her relation to my father. As most things, the questioning gets a bit more interesting. It’s all pretty basic though. She explains that she met my father when they both worked for the embassy, but that she resigned once they got married. It’s not as bad as I thought it would be and Mum looks pleased when Bridget comes back to the bench.

“Missus Moore-Hill,” Halloran starts calmly walking to the stand, “how are you today?”

She nods briefly, “Pleasant, thank you.”

“How long were you married to Clark?” He turns to look at the jury, “I don’t remember you saying.”

“I didn’t.” She assures him before adding, “We were married for eleven years when he left.”

A wicked smile takes over his face, “He left or you kicked him out?”

“I asked him to leave,” she clarifies.

Nodding the prosecution starts to pace in front of the bench, “Was your marriage a happy one before you asked him to leave?”

“Not for a long time.”

“Objection, relevance,” my attorney speaks up.

Halloran turns to Judge Everett and says, “I have a point.”

“Please get there,” she nods before looking to the jury. “Overruled.”

The opposition turns back to my mother, “Is it correct that when he left you asked him not to be a part of his children’s lives?”

Mum nods, “Yes.”

“So something horrible must have happened, is that correct?”

“Yes.”

“Then, Missus Moore-Hill, can you tell me why you’re still married to Mister Hill?” Halloran has a vindictive grin as he cocks his head to the side. “You would think being a man that terrible that you wouldn’t want to still be married to him.”

My mother’s eyes become huge as the information is spilled into the courtroom. She instantly looks over at me with terror in her eyes. And rightfully so, I had no idea. It feels like a slap to the face. Why wouldn’t she tell me they were still married? Why would she even stay married to him? They’ve been separated for almost fourteen years now. Not to mention he hurt her in more ways than one.

She starts shaking her head, but she doesn’t get anything out of her mouth before Halloran is talking again, “And apparently no one knew; from the look on your son’s face. What else could you be lying about, Missus Moore-Hill?”

“Nothing!” she shouts looking between him and I. “It was a difficult situation. I was only doing what was best for my children.”

“Of course,” he nods before walking back to his seat. “Nothing further, your honor.”

“Redirect, you honor?” Bridget stands from her spot to walk forward. Judge Everett nods slightly, but otherwise stays quiet. Turning toward Mum, Bridget gets right to be business. “Even though your credibility isn’t an issue because we already has proof of Damian’s relation to Mister Hill, would you like to tell us why you asked Clark to leave?”