21 Don't Call Me That

Standing back, I admire the wall I just finished painting.

Everyone took their own section of the bar to paint. At first, Toph and I were painting together, but we got separated by his aunt because we were ‘goofing around’ too much. So then, he got sent to the other side of the building.  To make up for it, Sammi put some music on and started dancing around with her paint roller. Needless to say, Aunt Ruth gave her a look as well.

Now, I’ve just finished painting my portion. They’ve picked this grey color a few shades lighter than the one already on there. It’s nothing lavish or brilliant, just fresh; something that hasn’t been soiled by cigarette smoke and drunkards’ booze. Aunt Ruth didn’t want to draw eyes to it; she wanted it to look clean.

“You missed a spot,” Toph’s arms wrap around my torso, nearly scaring me half to death. He chuckles as I jump and spin around to whack him in the shoulder.

“You scared me!”

He places a light kiss on my lips and uses his still linked hands to pull me to him. “I’m so very sorry, my love. I would never want to do that,” his devilish smile and hitched eyebrow match his condescending tone.

Shooting him a dirty look, I turn back around in his arms to look at the wall again placing my hands on my hips, “I didn’t miss anything.”

“Did you miss me?”

Laughing, I shake my head, “Nope, it was peaceful. And that was horrendous.”

“Horrendous?”

“Incredibly cutesy,” I chuckle.

“Do I hear laughing over here?” I hear Sammi trying to impersonate her mother behind us.

Spinning both of us around, I smile over at Toph’s cousin, “Yep. He came over to distract me as usual.”

Scoffing, my husband moves me to the side slightly, “First you don’t miss me, now you’re tattling on me. Aren’t you supposed to love me?”

“You forced me into this marriage,” my smile feels like it’s going to break my cheeks as his cousin laughs.

As he tries to pull his arms away, I start to chuckle again and grab his hands. Bringing my body around to face him; I plant a small kiss on his lips. He narrows his eyes, but I can tell he’s not mad. There’s a hint of a smirk playing at the corners on his mouth. Raising an eyebrow seductively, I bite my lip before letting it pull into a pout. It works as I hoped and he noticeable swallows.

As I’m about to apologize, the phone starts to vibrate in my pocket between us. We both jump at the sensation and look down to the offending object. Simultaneously, as our eyes connect again, we start to crack up. Sammi looks at us like we’re crazy, but I just hold my finger up as I fetch the mobile and walk away from the two.

“Hello,” I put it to my ear without looking at the caller ID. I should probably try to break that habit.

“Damian Moore-Hill?” The voice isn’t familiar to my ears.

“Well, Damian Ashton, but yes. How can I help you?”

“It’s been too long. And your last name will always be Moore-Hill.”

“Who is this?” I question, turning my back to my newest family members.

There’s a gravel laugh as the man shuffles on his end, “You don’t remember my voice?”

A shiver runs down my back involuntarily, “No.”

“You would think a man would remember his father.”