29 Noise Decibles

“What did mum want to talk to you about?” I ask him as we walk down the upstairs hallway.

He shrugs nonchalantly, “She wanted to thank me for the security system. She said it gives her a real peace of mind.”

“Is that it?” I stop at the top of the stairs.

Arching an eyebrow, that smirk appears again, “You’re nosy.”

“You had a while to talk to her,” I point out.

“Topher!” I hear my sister’s whisper/yell as she leans out of her doorway. She motions with her hand for him to come to her. “Can you help us?”

Topher and I walk toward her to see her fully dressed and made-up. Tom stands behind her, his clothes rumpled and standing awkwardly.

“What do you need help with?” He asks as we stop in front of her.

She wipes she palms down her sun dress, “If you guys distract everyone. We can sneak down the steps behind you and I can take him out the back garden.”

I sigh and cross my arms, “And why should we?”

“Just this once, I promise,” she holds out her hand to shake.

Shaking it once, I roll my eyes, “Once we get down there, I’ll call everyone into the sitting room. Give me a few minutes to start talking then you can sneak him out behind them.”

“Thank you,” Angela uses my shoulder to pull herself up and kiss my cheek. She does the same to Topher before motioning us to leave.

-----

It isn’t hard to get everyone to gather in the sitting room. All I have to do is tell mum and she gathers everyone rather quickly.

Now, I realize I’m an actor. I realize that I stand in front of people and talk all the time. I realize that when I was on the West End, I would stand in front of a whole bunch of people. I realize I’ve done interviews and signed autographs. I know that in the entertainment industry, being shy is out of the question. But that being said, given the choice of speaking in front of thousands of strangers or twenty of my closest family and friends; I would pick the strangers every time.

Taking a deep breath, I stand from the sofa I was sitting next to my husband on. Letting that air out, I begin my speech, “I’m so glad everyone came this afternoon. I know mum said that it was just a small gathering to see me while I was in town, but that’s not the entire truth. Whereas I am very happy to see you all for the limited amount of time I have being back, I also have some news. Some of you may have seen it on the internet or in those horrid tabloid magazines, but in case you haven’t… Well… here we go.”

I take another big breath and let it out, looking down to find Topher’s hand. Extending my own, I speak to him, “You can stay seated, but may I have your hand?” He offers it without question and stands up so his shoulder bumps against mine lightly. When I look up into his blue eyes, they shine as bright as his smile. It gives me the confidence I need to continue, “If you don’t know. This is Topher Ashton. We met on the set of a movie I did. He was my co-star. Well,” I let out a humorless chuckle, “he was the star. I was just acting with him. I was his roommate in the movie and-” I’m interrupted by Chris squeezing my hand gently.

Looking up at him again, he smirks and nods, silently telling me everything alright. I nod back before turning my gaze back to my family and friend. “He’s my best mate. But, he’s more than that. He’s my husband.”

There’s a beat of silence where I look out to a bunch of confused faces; all except mum, Angie, Marcy, and Uncle Charlie. I knew Uncle Charlie would understand. And of course Gran is just staring dully at her hands. It’s been years since she’s said a single word.