20 I Love You

“You can’t park a bit closer?” I half whine, half ask Toph as he puts the car in park.

Rolling his eyes, he doesn’t even answer before getting out of the car and shutting the door behind him. Following suit, I manage to get out and stand next to him.

“Are you really bitching about 5 blocks?” he raises an eyebrow challengingly.

Slumming a little, I give him my best pout face, “It’s your fault. You hurt me.”

“You should have woken up. I warned you,” he turns his back to me and squats a little. “Jump on. I’ll carry you.”

“I’ll look like a right idiot,” folding my arms over my chest and leaning to one side.

Shaking his head, he smiles and looks back at me again, “Like the drama queen you’re being now? Get on or walk. Those are the only two options. You saw that there were not parking spaces closer.” At my hesitation, he rolls his eyes again, “Come on, no one’s around. No one will see you to look like a ‘right idiot’.”

Huffing, I climb on, “Your family should get a car park.”

“You should man up. It’s only a few blocks.”

“Again, I say you hurt me.”

He laughs as he carries me toward the bar, “It’s not my fault you didn’t wake up.”

“You could have been nicer about it.”

“Day, I tried for an hour or so to wake you up nicely. It didn’t work. Plus, I warned you. Fair and square,” even if I can’t see his face, I can still hear the smirk in his voice.

Wiggling a little, I try to free myself. It doesn’t work, “Lies! Saying, ‘this is your warning’ does not mean ‘I’m going to throw you in a cold shower’. It hardly means anything at all!”

“You could’ve opened your eyes to see where we were,” he hooks his elbows tighter under my knees. “You decided to cuddle into my chest instead.”

“I didn’t think my husband would be so mean.”

He stops walking for a second and turns his head to look back at me, “Say it again.”

“You’re mean?” It sounds more like a question as it comes out of my mouth.

“No, what I am to you.”

I chuckle but play along, “My husband.” I say it slowly and accentuate every syllable.

“It sounds freaking awesome with your accent. I don’t ever get to hear you say it.”

Leaning forward a bit, I press my lips to the side of his in a quick peck, “Alright, husband, keep moving. We’re already late.”

“Also your fault,” he says nonchalantly as he continues our journey.

“None of it was my fault!” I join his chuckling. “First off, the water shocked me. So when my body reacted, I kicked the spout and twisted my ankle. That was your fault for throwing me in the shower.”

“I hardly threw you. I carried you in and set you on the tile.”

Ignoring his comment, I continue my lament, “Then it took me ten times longer to take a shower because I was freezing. That was your fault too.”

He laughs outright, “Now you’re being crazy. I had just got out of the shower when I put you in there. I know for a fact it wasn’t cold water.”

I continue again without mentioning on his banter, “And THEN you distract me when I get out with your lips!”

I wait for a second to hear his rebuttal. After a few seconds, I poke his shoulder, “No comment?”