37 Damon Jacobs

The prosecution rests after they release my husband. They no longer have any witnesses or people to testify against me. All this means that it’s Bridget’s turn. She gets to call people to the stand to testify on my behalf, but Judge Everett calls it a day before that. Court resumes tomorrow where we will pick up from there.

It doesn’t take long for me to get out of the courtroom and shuffled out into the waiting swarm of people. Just as I’m about halfway through, I feel a hand on my shoulder pulling me back. At first it freaks me out, but then I realize the guards are letting it happen. Then, just like that, a familiar body is pressed against my back and my favorite mouth it to my ear, “Hey babe.”

The cameras go wild. The flashes are blinding and I just try to keep my head down. I’ll worry about talking to him when we get into the waiting car.

He keeps me flush against him with his hands on my hips as the guards clear our way. It takes a few minutes to get from where we were to the vehicle, but with Chris behind me, it’s not so bad.

The door shuts behind him and I wrap my arms around him, “How long are you in for?”

“I’m here until Sunday,” he says easily pulling me into a hug.

Letting go, I push him to arm’s length, “That’s five nights.”

“Yea,” he chuckles. “I was hoping that your case would be done by then. I want to take you back to Paris with me. Have you seen Paris is the fall?”

Thinking about it a second, I shake my head, “No, I’ve been there in the winter and once for a day in the spring.”

“Paris is at its best in the fall,” he tells me as he sits back against the seat. “You’ll love it.”

He’s probably right. He’s always right when he says ‘you’ll love it’. It surprises me every time it happens. I should really get used to that.

A few minutes pass where we sit in a comfortable silence.

“You know what sounds great?” he asks me out of nowhere.

Arching a brow, I turn toward him, “What’s that?”

“Getting into our pajamas, ordering Chinese food, getting our extra blankets, and snuggling in for the night.”

Smiling, I nod, “Sounds perfect.”

And that’s just what we do. After the ride home, we go straight up and get into our pajama bottoms. I call for food; he grabs the blankets and picks out the first movie.

It isn’t until the movie is almost over and the Chinese food long past eaten that I voice what I’ve been thinking all night, “What if I lose this case?”

He lifts his head from my chest to look at me, “You won’t.”

“How do you know? They could find me guilty then I would have to go back to England.”

He adjusts so that he’s sitting cross-legged facing me, “Are you really worried?”

“Well yea,” I nod slightly and look down at my hands in my lap. “I don’t want to leave. I like it here.” Then taking a deep breath, I take one of his hands into mine, “And I love you. It would be a shame if I had to live in a separate country, yea?”

At that, he laughs. I’m not talking about a little chuckle or something you can try to hide under a cough; I’m talking a right bellow of laughter. So much so, that he almost falls over.

“What in the hell are you laughing at?” If it were anyone else, I would probably be a bit angry, but with the look on Topher’s face, I can’t help the smirk that laces my lips.