Chapter 22: Head Over Water

I looked at myself in the mirror, a shel of a girl who use to live in this body that was dressed with a tyler Seguin jersey and a Jamie Benn beanie. A girl who was full of life and enjoyed it. But maybe that wasn't the truth because these memories of my brother where haunting my mind.

I pulled up my black leather leggings and fixed my combat boots before heading down stairs to the ride Jamie had a arranged for me. I was quiet the whole ride, fumbling with my thumbs. The stars played the Philadelphia Flyers tonight, I assumed it was going to be a good matchup.

When I got dropped off at the American Airline Center there is already a long line of people pushing and shoving trying to get inside. It was a sea of green and black. I pulled the the beanie down a little lower to cover my face as I stood in line behind a father and his son. The son dawned a Benn jersey while his father just wore a simple Dallas Stars shirt. Their hands interlocked as they laughed and shared memories of their favorite goals.

The line got moving and I was able to push through the crowd and down to the glass where both teams where out for warmups. I pressed my hand up along the glass where it sent chills down my spine but that wasn't the thing that felt weird. I began feeling a tingling sensation and pain in my head. I ignored the feelings and focused on the team in front of me. I watched as Tyler and Jamie joked around and laughed.

But the whole time that they took shots at the net I couldn't help but think about how Jamie possibly dealt with my brothers death. So strong for me but so weak for himself. How could it be possible to push feelings like that away?

I was soon snapped out of my train of thought when Tyler bumped the glass in front of me and before skating away he shot a wink at me. Jordie skated by and flipped me over a puck which I handed to the little boy who had stood in front of my earlier in the line.
"T-thank you" he was almost at a lost for words as he held it in his hands.
"No problem" I smiled.

After warmup I made my way up to my seat which was a few rows up from the center line, it was a pretty good view. The puck was dropped and the game was under way. It was a very physical game, the glass was rattling a lot with all the checks. But as I sat there I still had this hideous headache.

First period went by quickly but when second period hit I found myself cheering on my feet as Tyler netted a goal. 17:03 the puck was in the back of the net by Tyler again who was smiling so hard as he squeezed Jamie. Just when all of the American airline center had settled down, 40 seconds later it was Tyler again netting a hat trick, that's what the people next to me called it. People took off their hats and threw them onto the ice so I followed by taking off my beanie and throwing it to the ice. I can't tell you much about hockey, but it's special when you score 3 times.

Once the game was over, with a Stars win, the American airline center emptied out and I waited out by the locker room. As I stood there waiting for tyler and Jamie my headache had grown worse. It was now a pounding pain almost as if someone was just slowly crushing my skull. I squeezed my head and rubbed my temple.

The door squeaked open and my head shot up to see Tyler with this big cowboy hat on. I smile trying to mask the pain I was experiencing.
"That was a great game" I'm able to get out the words
"Yea, a few goals never hurt nobody" he laughs lightly. He than scratches his beard before looking down at his feet where he's still wearing skates.
"Wanna come see something?"
"Sure" I smile. He grabs my hand and its like my body just melts in his touch. The pounding in my head continues to get worse as we walk. We finally reach the tunnels and Tyler leads me to the bench where we over look the ice.
"Breath taking Isn't it?"
"Yea" I half smile as I take in the view
"Jamie told me you use to love coming to sit out here"
"Wouldn't know"
"Come" he holds out his hand once more and I take it and follow him. He leads me onto the ice, grabbing my other hand to to keep me balanced as we walked to center ice.
"Even more breathtaking" I say literally out of breath. I can hardly think straight and my breathing patterns where becoming more corrupt. Everything was going fuzzy and I was dizzy. Tyler turned away for just a second and everything for me went black.