24. Mine

I rise before Max's morning alarm goes off as sunlight makes its way through the window and wake me up. In the dimly lit room, I can finally take a look around. I loosen my boyfriend's arm from my tiny waist before I manage a sitting position, shivering as his hold was what was keeping me warm in the chilly air-conditioned room. I reach for his blanket and pull it up his shoulders.

Right next to his door there's a little potted banana tree. I was so taken up by Max's adorable lips yesterday that I didn't even notice it as I came in, no matter how unconventional it is. His desk is covered in an artsy mess and his walls are barely visible through paintings, drawings and pictures. At some point, he even gave up frames and paper to paint directly on his wall. I chuckle lightly at the sight as I realize how much his room resembles him.

Max slowly shifts in his bed, grumbling a few sleepy sounds as he pulls me back in his arms. I smile, falling right back into a light sleep, buried in the warmth of my angel's chest.

•••

Max's alarm blasts some cheesy love song, and I think that is the most Maxime thing that could have happened this morning. I chuckle a bit, grabbing his phone to shut it off while my boyfriend grips on the last bits of his dream.

I really have never been a morning person, but right now my brain is too overjoyed to even care. I pull at Max's blond curls, trying to wake him up with kisses and sweet words. After a few minutes, his sleepy eyes finally open.

It takes a few seconds before he realizes what's happening. Yawning, he cups my cheek with his hand.

"So yesterday wasn't a dream after all", he says softly, now fully awake.

I only answer him with a smile and a few kisses, and we stay there, cuddling, our problems and the rest of the world forgotten until we're almost late for my first morning class. I borrow one of his t-shirts and we grab each a muffin before hurrying out.

We end up running in the hallways so that I make it in time for chemistry, and when I enter my class with one last glance at my adorable boyfriend I'm not surprised to see Nick didn't reserve a seat for me next to his. I now realize how harsh I've been on him, but right now, as the teacher starts to speak, I can't do a thing about it.

I can't help but think about the fact Nick knew I was dating Max, even if it wasn't for real, when he told me he loved me. How the hell did he even expect me to react? I'm so lost in thoughts I realize I don't even know what the teacher's talking about. And I know for sure that, this time, there'll be no Nick to save my ass.

___

The more I write, the more I think Max was the best choice...

Max honestly wasn't supposed to be this important, but I sometimes feel like my characters act by themselves more than I make them act how I want. Is that weird? :')