12. Novels

I made the mistake of letting Nick use my computer. No, he didn't find porn or anything compromising... He found my novels.

"Hey Ollie, how come I've never read anything you wrote?"

And just three seconds ago, I was peacefully reading a book on my bed. Now, my heart races like crazy.

"It's nothing, really", I quickly hush.

"But I would love to read it... Can I?"

"No! That's embarrassing..."

He then asks why. Of course he asks the one question I don't want to answer. His puzzled gaze is set straight at me, and I'm soon to realize there's no escape. Reluctantly, I explain:

"I kinda used you as a character... multiple times..."

"Aww you're really shy about that? You don't have to around me, you know? I'd love to meet the vision you have of me through these pages."

I swear his grin is evil.

"I'm not shy, I'm embarrassed!" I shoot at him, along with a mean glare.

My face probably looks like some kid painted it bright red.

"Shy, embarrassed... Isn't it the same though?" He then asks.

Of course it isn't. I throw him a pillow for his lack of vocabulary in some sort of attempt at shutting him up. This only results in him laughing even harder that earlier.

My phone buzzes on my lap, and I quickly shush Nick as I see my mom's name on the bright screen. I answer, the call on "speaker" mode by terrible mistake. My mom is not the kind to say hello or ask how I'm doing first as she hates small talk. Instead, she asks a few questions right away: "Hey Ollie! How did your exam go?"

And before I can even answer:

"Your dad wants to know when you're going to bring a boy home! Do you have some boyfriend we aren't aware of yet?"

As I put the too loud phone away from my ear in a wince, Nick bursts out in laughter. I try to shut him up once more, but this time my mean glare doesn't work. If anything, it adds more fuel to the fire.

Of course, my mom's attention is caught as she hears Nick's laugh echoing through the phone. She asks me who this "lovely" boy is and won't believe me when I say he's just a friend. Nick might just die right here out of laughter as I don't know how he manages to breathe.

He even comes closer to say a few word to my mom, and for him to win over her heart doesn't take long. I'm exasperated (and slightly amused too, but no one needs to know, especially those two), but at least they seem to be getting along. The conversation ends with my mother saying that she'd love to meet my friend (she still didn't believe that part), and Nick replying that he'll make sure that'll happen.

It's only when the phone call ends that I realize how close he is. We're both sitting on my small single bed, our shoulders almost against one another. I feel the warmth radiating from his skin slowly creeping to my cheeks, but I stay there for a moment, unwilling to move.

As he inclines his face toward me, I can see every details of his pupils. Bright green slowly fading to a darker color toward the middle. I don't know how long we stay like that, frozen in time, without a word nor uncomfort. I still force myself to get up at some point, scared I'll do something I would regret. Scared I'll take his hand, put mine on his warm cheek, kiss said cheek or even his lips without my mind's consent.

I then get to my computer, opening a story I'm confident is safe enough for Nicholas to read. He gives me a victorious smile, only to get absorbed by my screen while I'm left to my unthinkable thoughts as I pretend to read Made of Stars by Kelley York.

___

Made of stars... Ugh that book. So good yet I've got mixed feelings about it.  >.<