4. Pizza

It takes a few days before I hear from Nick again. I was studying, catching up in maths, when my cell phone chimes. I'm quite startled because it never happens. The notification flashes over my screen:

[Nicholas] (11:19 AM) :

Hey! Wanna grab something to eat before our chemistry class?

Quickly, I open my phone. I stare at the message a few minutes before I figure out what's happening. I thought he wouldn't talk to me for anything that isn't related to chemistry, like everyone else would have done. Could it be that he wants to be friends? I don't understand human relations at all. My phone chimes again, reminding me that I've been zoning off.

[Nicholas] (11: 25 AM) :

Oliver?

[Oliver] (11:26 AM) :

Yes! How about pizza?

[Nicholas] (11:26 AM) :

See you there in ten minutes! :D

Ten minutes. I change my clothes, brush my teeth, try to tame my wild curly hair and once again give up. What am I even trying to accomplish here anyways?

Five minutes. I run down the stairs, then manage a five-minute walk in three minutes.

Two minutes. I arrive at the campus' pizza place, the one place where students gather to eat. I wait in front of the door, wondering why the hell I hurried here when I live so close by. It doesn't take long before he's here too.

Once again, Nick talks so much that there is never a silence between us. It's impressive how many things I could learn about him in such a short amount of time. I now know that he's got an adorable little sister, plays soccer, adores pizza a bit too much and hates to read. He must have caught the look in my eyes at the last one, because he bursts in laughter.

"Stop killing me in your head because I don't like to read!"

How he knows is beyond me. I frown, allowing him to continue.

"It's like saying you have no right to hate that hockey team of yours! I've got to move; I can't just sit and do nothing. Reading makes me sleepy. Besides, there's always a movie adaptation to every success, so why would I bother with books?"

"But books are always better," I reply with a sharp glare. You're missing out on so much..."

And I go on with a thousand words explanation of why books are wonderful. At some point, I realise that he's looking at me with such amusement in his eyes that I stop. His voice is drooling with sarcasm:

"Wow, I didn't know you could speak that much..."

His face is hilarious, and I can't stop laughing. People start to turn around because I'm being too loud, but for the first time since I was a little child I'm far from minding. Tears form in my eyes and even Nick is now looking at me, eyes slightly wide, a chuckle escaping from his lips.

"I've never seen you laugh that much before."

"Stop acting like you're so shocked, I'm a human being, too!"

"Are you really?" he says as his eyes narrow, like he's examining me.

I reach over the table to slap his arm. I didn't know I had such capacities either, to be honest, but I'll never dare to admit it.

•••

We reach our class just as Mrs. Stainley begins. She gives us a disapproving look before turning back to her power point. A shiver runs down my spine, and I sit still for a while. Nick seems to find my behavior funny, and I make sure to tell him I'm not pleased with it by an attempt at a mean look (which only makes him chuckle).

Of course, the class is boring and goes at turtle speed. However, with Nick by my side, it seems to be a bit better than it used to be. Obviously not listening to a word she says, I'll have to teach myself whatever she taught later. I don't even know why I bother going to her class at all...