16. Straightforward

It's Monday morning and I'm drinking coffee at my usual writing spot in the reading club just before a class.

My head is pounding and I can't help but regret last night. Every single thing that happened and that follows, my head throbbing and my eyes barely open. Obviously, I went home late and I couldn't sleep at all. It's hard to get over someone when that very person is snoring loudly on your couch.

It quite takes me off guard when I receive a text and Nick's name doesn't appear on the bright screen.

[Maaxiiiimeeeee :DDD] (8h50 AM): Hey hum... It's Max. Sorry about last night. I was totally wasted and I just had got rejected by some guy!! >.<

I chuckle at the name he gave himself in my contact. I quickly change it to ''Max'' before I receive another text from him.

[Max] (8h51 AM): And I also thought you were kinda cute, but I don't know if I was just drunk or not. Maybe I need a little reminder of what you look like?

[Max] (8h51 AM): That is, if you want to see me. I may have screwed the presentations, and I can't even recall your name...

I always thought I was straightforward, but that guy just is on another level. Blushing, I give him my name as an answer. I tease him about calling him Sweetie, which he states doesn't bother him as long as it's me. We talk back and forth until I realize I'm late for my 9:00 AM class, and we make plans to see each other later to eat at the campus' pizza place. I might still think about Nick, daydream that it's him I'm going to see, but going to see a cute guy can't do any harm, can it? It's not like I'm obligated to stay loyal to Nick even if I kind of feel like I have to.

•••

I walk into the restaurant, and when Max turns his head toward me, I almost see Nick's smile. Obviously, I feel guilty, and I join him with my head down. With Maxime, everything feels so... different than with Nick. As opposed to his drunk self, today he's mostly reserved. He may have been blunt and confident by text, but the boy sitting across the table speaks in short sentences and fidgets with anything that he touches, from his straw to the pizza crust he outrageously didn't eat.

We're both quiet guys, but in the end it doesn't matter. I talked about my general sciences studies, he showed me a few pictures of his colorful paintings. He finally left with the promise he'll let me see some more of his work, and maybe if I'm "kind enough" I'll be able to hear him sing. I keep on wondering if this was a date or not... I'm not good with this stuff at all and it's quite frustrating. But, say it was one, I guess it went pretty well.

I get back to school just in time for my chemistry class, where Nick is already waiting for me. As soon as he sees me, he rises loudly and practically runs to reach me. I chuckle a bit as I realize how much of a contrast he makes with Max. He then talks so loudly that I'm positive everyone in class hears: "Hey! I just heard you went out on a date... with Max?"

"Slow down who the hell told you that?" I hush.

Somehow, my crush finding out about the date hurts more than I thought it would. I know Nick and I are nothing, but still.

"Some girls were giggling and talking about it. I really don't know why girls like romance between two boys so much..."

"Beat me, I can't tell!"

We're both laughing as class begins. The conversation goes on with lowered voices so the teacher won't notice.

"I don't think it was a date? I can't really tell honestly", I whisper.

He looks at me in the eyes, almost with relief? I'm probably just seeing things... I go on: "But you? With that blue haired girl?"

He looks almost ashamed, his eyes back to the ground:

"I did it mostly to forget a stupid crush I guess... She was so wasted in the end I bet she would not even remember kissing me."

I turn my attention back to my notes. I'm just imagining things. There's no way that stupid crush was on me...

___

Yep... just your imagination... ;)