xvi

He was washed out.His eyes turning red from all the weeping.He'd stopped almost thirty minutes ago but the saddened atmosphere still remind on our shoulders.

     "Tell me"He bursts moving his gaze from the wall to me.

"Hmm"I hum out confused as I look at him,I was sitting back on my chair now.

  "Tell me a story,about you"He asks.

"A story?"I think to myself.I didn't have a story to say really.I had a pretty bland and uneventful life.

"Alright."I finally decide settling on a story I felt would help lighten the mood."This was like a year ago though."I admit.

"Tell me."He scoots closer to me  showing me,he wanted to listen and somewhere in between him moving and ending up in the edge of the hospital bed,I felt my heart flutter and my smile deepen.

"Well,"I think of how to start telling before deciding to start from the beginning."I had just gotten this job at this coffee shop down stairs."I introduce.He waits for me to continue and doesn't say a word."I was a good two months into my work and I normally take shifts that last till closing."I admit.

"Do you still work there?"He finally asks me.

"Yeah,five days a week."I let him know.

"Isn't that a lot of pressure on you?"He asks cocking his brow as he looks over my facial features.I let out a shrug not wanting to say yes because it'll make me seem like I can't handle what's on my plate and not saying no because that'll mean I can never get enough.

  "Anyways!"I conjure wanting to avoid the topic."I was working and in comes this sixth grader and his buddies."I remember."they were a noisy bunch,they'd ordered an enormous amount of pancakes."I continue."it was enough to make Benny-the chef-curse when he looked at the order receipt."I tell him.

"They sound like brats."He infers moving his body so he was facing more towards me.

"Trust me,they were worse then brats."I explain."It was almost three hours till closing when they showed up and all I wanted to do was throw them out."I admit."So after almost an hour later this group come in."I start with the actual story.

"This group of kids walks in and they're around out age,they take a seat in the booth next to the six graders and I still have no idea why."I confirm."Other booths were empty but they went with the one right next to the sixth graders."I continue.

"I feel like this story has a funny outcome."Dakota admits.

"Throughout the time the teenagers where there,they were rude and making nasty remarks."I remember not going into detail about what they had said."I recognized a few from my school and I was dreading it so bad."

  "They'd ordered pancakes that night too which only made Benny swear even more.When I went to deliver they're pancakes all I could think of was how Samantha-this girl who is set to kill me-kept giving me the stink eye while I was bringing out the pancakes.I heard her going off about how poor the customer service was but seeing how I was the only one working that night it was pretty obvious why."I laugh out a little feeling like I was dragging out the story more then I should.

"So Samantha's complaining about how the pancakes are dry and the syrup is lacking."I quicken."And the sixth grader in the seat behind her and goes 'you need more' and he fricken takes his plate with the pancakes and everything and pours it all over her head."I finally finish laughing remembering the look on Samantha's face when she felt the warm syrup drench her hair.

"No way!"He laughs with me.

"Her face was priceless,She looked like she saw a ghost or something."I laugh.