ii

"Detention?!"my mother yells at me.

"Give her a break."Freddy says standing next to me."She's had purple slime everywhere."He explains.

Freddy and I had gotten home a good ten minutes ago and like I had promised I'd told Freddy what happened on the ride home.Who then told our mother.

"It's so unlike you to get in trouble."My mother huffs before turning her back on us and walking towards the kitchen."dinners in an hour,I want your chores done by then."My mom demands.

"But mom"Freddy groans staggering behind her.

As the two leave me in front of the door i make my way upstairs to my room setting my bag next to the door and heading straight to the bathroom.

Even though I'd taken off the purple slime in the school bathroom I still felt the need to scrub my body to get rid of any bits that may have remained.

When dinner was ready Freddy was already at the table patiently waiting for me and our mom.

"Dylan called."He says not looking up from his phone as I approach the dining table.

"And?"I ask wondering why he was telling me.Dylan and Freddy were friends.I mean they were on the football team being friends with team mates seemed pretty normal.

"He was wondering if you were free Saturday,"Freddy goes on."I told him you were."He says finally looking up.

"What's Saturday?"I ask raising an eyebrow.

"Your date."

"I have an internship at the hospital."I reply back.

"Missing one day won't hurt."

"I can't ditch Emily."

"Yes you can."He continues on."just call in sick."He provides.

"She saw me today,there is no way she'll buy it."I say just as our mom walks in holding the glass pan with her mittens on.

"Ravioli."My mom informs as she sets the pan down onto the table."what are you guys bickering about?"she asks taking her seat.

"Katie has a date."Freddie says."And she doesn't want to go."He snitches.

"Dylan?"my mom asks turning and looking at me.I nod my head."Why don't you wanna go?"She asks.

"I have an internship at the hospital."I reply.

"Fair enough."My mom shrugs before starting to put the ravioli on our plates.

"But you should go."Freddie cuts in.

"Why do you want me to go so badly?"I ask beginning to question my brothers actions.

"Well."he pauses for a brief second clearly making something up at the top of his head."you're always busy and lately it's like you barely have time for anyone."He rants."and he is your boyfriend,and because he's asking you on a date you should go instead of turning him down."Hw makes his point.

"I can't miss a day at the hospital."I inform.

"I think your brothers right."my mom takes a side."you should go have fun."She tells me.

"But I don't wanna."I state avoiding telling them I haven't spoken to Dylan in the past three days.

"Maybe you should go out."My mom pressures."hang around kids your age for once."She continues.

"I do hang with people my age."I object.

"Having one friend doesn't count."Freddie butts in again while chewing his food.

"It's just Dylan."My mom tells me.

"I know."I reply my voice suddenly softer.My heart was racing.Dylan.

I haven't had a full or stable conversation with him in the past three days.He's my best friend the boy I've know since freshmen year.

When dinner was over I was stuck doing the dishes while Freddie had to bring the dishes from the table to the sink.

"Why don't you wanna go?"he asks bringing back the date topic.

"Because I'm an intern."I reply scrubbing down a plate.

"But your internship is from nine to five."He incorporates leaning against the counter.

"I know."I respond passing him a dish so he could wipe it down with the rag and put it back in the cabinet.

"Did you guys get in a fight?"He asks turning around to face the counter.

"No."

"Then?"

"I just don't feel like going."I answer.

"Fine."Freddie finally caved just as I finished scrubbing the pan."but you're calling Dylan and rejecting him."He said before taking the now wet and clean glass pan from me.

"I'm going to my room."I inform Freddie as he put the dishes back.

I begin walking upstairs entering my room.I stare as the pile of homework on my desk that needs to be done.The. I stare at my bed.So fluffy so warm.