«Incomplete Completeness»

After work, Thomas went with James for a change rather than vice versa. James was in the kitchen cooking one of his dishes for he and Thomas to share. Thomas was sitting in the kitchen at the island, sipping a can of apple cider while the two of them were talking. James was currently at the stove, his back facing Thomas who had been meaning to talk to him all day but never got round to it. He thought now was probably the best time.

"Hey, Jem, I wanted to talk to you about somethin'."

James paused, hearing the tone of concern in Thomas' voice. It took him a bit by surprise because seconds before he'd been joking around.

"What's up? You good?"

"Uh, yeah, yeah. I was just kinda worried about you."

James rose his eyebrows as he came to join Thomas at the island, picking his own can up and taking a sip.

"How come?"

Thomas shrugged, "Don't know... just kinda happened, I guess."

James nodded as he swallowed, "I see. Well, I'm okay." He said. And he was until Thomas started his next part of the conversation.

"You sure, though? You seemed kinda upset when I was talking to you last night, so I was just wondering."

James looked down when he realized where this was going.

"Oh."

Thomas frowned, "Meaning?"

James shrugged, "Nothing."

Thomas shook his head, "The way you said "oh" tells me otherwise," he mentioned, sipping his cider. James shrugged,

"My bad. I'm fine."

Now Thomas knew that wasn't true so, carried on.

"Firstly, I've known you long enough to know that's a lie. Talk to me, Jem. That's the only way this will work."

James rolled his eyes and stood up, going back to the stove.

"It's nothing, Thomas. K?"

Thomas frowned and stood up after him, going to join him at the stove, arms crossed, looking over his shoulder.

"Just tell me, James. I won't know unless you tell me," he sighed.

James sighed back, "Fine." He said, looking at Thomas, "I'm sorry for using that tone on you yesterday. Happy?"

Thomas tilted his head, "Uh, that's not what I said."

"Jeez, dude. I was just thinking of something, that's it."

"Okayyy... what was on your mind? If you don't mind me asking."

James sighed, going to sit down again. Thomas followed him and did the same.

"So?"

"Dude, why do you even care?"

Thomas shrugged, "Oh, I don't know. Maybe because you're my best friend and I care about your well-being?"

James only rolled his eyes and mumbled, "Yeah right."

Thomas still heard it, raising his eyebrows, "Meaning?"

James went to the stove again. "Nothing. Forget it."

"Okay but I-"

James clenched his jaw and cut Thomas off, "I said, forget. it."

Thomas shook his head and stood up, "I'm not gonna forget it because I think it's unfair for you to keep stuff from me. You're my best friend and I'm yours. Best friends ain't meant to keep stuff from one another, especially if it's a situation concerning them. So yeah, no, I won't forget it. Tell me."