Fifteen

Chapter 15
Mackenzie's POV

I didn't even have time to think. I didn't even have time to comprehend what I had been told, for I began to scream from pain. It was like a ripple effect, it started in my stomach, went to my legs and feet, and finally to my head where to the pain became so unbearable everything around me when black.

Outsider's POV

"What's happening to her!" Melissa screamed as Kenzie's shrieks grew louder and louder, until they suddenly died out. The nurse quickly checked Mackenzie's pulse and pushed a red button on the wall.
In an instant there was nurses and doctors surrounding Mackenzie. Melissa was ushered out in an attempt not to scar her even more of what could possibly be happening to Mackenzie. One nurse worked to get an IV started in Mackenzie's arm and another carefully tilted her head up and inserted a long tube down her throat until it was all the way in, taped to the sides of her mouth, and connected to a machine.
One doctor was doing a quick examination on Mackenzie and when he softly pressed his hands to her abdomen he immedietly pulled up the bottom half of her gown up so her entire lower half was uncovered. He then preceded to press in different spots until he became very concerned.
"Let's get an CT scan" Yelled a doctor, and suddenly an unconscious Mackenzie was wheeled out of the room on a bed to the nearest CT. Melissa trailed behind her daughter in her bed until they reached the CT scan and was led into a room which held doctors and nurses which looked into the CT room through a glass wall. Melissa watched as they carefully lifted Mackenzie onto a different bed. The bed she was now on began to move Mackenzie into a machine feet first. A moment later Melissa was ushered out of the room into an office.
"Hello Melissa, I'm Dr. Kyle." Explained the female closing the door to the office and sitting at the desk as Melissa took a seat in one of the chairs.
"Hello." Melissa replied.
"We've looked over Mackenzie's pictures that were taken in the CT scan, and we found she has a ruptured spleen. In some patients with leukemia they get an enlarged spleen, but because of how far along Mackenzie is with her cancer it became so enlarged that it ruptured. Now, this can lead to serious and life threatening problems, so we need to get Mackenzie into the OR as fast as possible and take it out." Said the doctor. All Melissa could do was nod her head. This day just kept getting worse and worse.
Melissa exited the room and went to slouch down in a chair in the waiting room was Mackenzie was whisked to the operating room, in an attempt to possibly make her life extent to a point where she would at least be able to say goodbye in a mannerly timeframe. As Dr. Kyle made her way to the OR Mackenzie was being taken to, she whispered to her co-worker, who was working extensively to keep up with her pace,
"There's no way this kid is gonna made it five months. That family would be lucky to make eight weeks with her still breathing."