Twelve

Chaper 12

Brooke's POV

I grabbed my credit card and my phone in a hurry. I was heading over to meet Maddie for lunch at a nearby pub. She said that she had something to talk about but wouldn't tell me what. I figured that it had to do with the crash that happened basically three months ago. I was doing my best to forget about that subject and had pretty much succeeded, but I had a feeling that my success was just about to be crushed.

"Alright Maddie," I said, putting down my drink and staring at her, "why did you really bring me here?" I asked her, speaking about us sitting at a two person table at the pub.

"It's Chloe." She whispered.

"What about Chlo?" I replied, getting concerned.

"I think that she's gonna try and," Maddie stopped, not wanting to finish her sentence, luckily I had heard enough to understand what she was talking about.

"When?" I said, leading across the table.

"Soon." She replied in a hushed tone. I pushed my chair back so violently it fell backwards as I stood up and grabbed Maddie's wrist. Not even bothering to pay for our drinks I continued to drag her until we were outside.

"Get in the car." I instructed her as I pulled into the driver's seat of my car. Once she was buckled in the seat beside me we sped off. "Why do you think she's gonna try and commit suicide?" I said sternly to Maddie.

"She told me that she's not happy and that she doesn't like life anymore. Something's just telling me that she's gonna do it." Maddie said. I stepped on the gas and drove as fast as possible.

Once we reached Chloe's house both Maddie and I ran from the car and went through the garage. I led the way as we both made our way up the stairs/ramp that the Lukasiaks had recently put in for Chloe. Not seeing Chloe or Chloe's wheelchair in her bedroom or anywhere upstairs we rushed frantically throughout the entire house only to find her dog, Bear, sleeping in his bed by the front door.

"I don't know where she is." Said Maddie as we both leaned against the kitchen table panting. "Christi went out to lunch with the other moms, her dad's at work, and Clara is at camp. She should be here." She stated.

"Maddie." I said, beginning to freak out.

"What?" She said, looking up at me.

"Her wheelchair is out there." I spoke, pointing to Chloe's backyard where her purple wheelchair sat beside their pool. Both Maddie and I looked each other in the eyes, both thinking the same thing but not wanting to believe it before we rushed out to the patio. We stood by the pool next to Chloe's wheelchair while Maddie and I both looked over into the pool to see our worst nightmare there right before us. It was then I heard Maddie say under her breath,

"Oh my god."

Maddie's POV

"Oh my god." I murmured under my breath. I was absolutely dumbfounded by what I was looking at: Chloe, laying at the bottom of the deep end of her pool.

"Maddie call 911!" Screamed Brooke as she tossed her phone onto a nearby chair and dove for Chloe.

"911 What's your emergency?" Said the operator on the other line.

"It's my friend! She committed suicide by drowning herself!" I screamed, tears rushing down my face.

"Alright, well send dispatch over." They said before hanging up.

Brooke swam twords the edge of the pool, holding onto Chlo as I grabbed onto Chloe, pulling her out of the water and laying her down on the hot summer concrete.

"She's not breathing!" I yelled as Brooke ran to go wait for the paramedics. Once they arrived they tore through the house to the backyard and surrounded Chloe. After giving her CPR and mouth to mouth for a couple of minutes they found a pulse and rushed her to the ER. Brooke called Christi to let her know what had happened and to meet Chloe at the hospital.

"Will she ever be Chloe again?" Asked a sobbing Brooke as we watched Chloe on the stretcher being loaded into the ambulance and sped away.

"I don't know." I replied in a monotone voice and turned my back to her, trying to conceal my tears. No emotion equals no more pain. I reminded myself.