Fourteen

Chapter 14
Mackenzie's POV

February 15th, 4:00 p.m.

I laid in bed on my stomach, trying to ease the pain in both my head and my abdomen. I let out a small scream as I fumbled out of the bed and onto my feet, causing my headache to get worse. I headed for my bedroom door and opened it, trying to make my way downstairs only to suddenly turn around and make a mad dash for my bathroom.

I was leaned over the toilet for quite some until I was positive I had vomited as much as my body could handle. I pushed on my hands and slowly made my way to standing. As I was about to flush my vomit I was trying so hard not to look at a got a quick peak and nearly fell over I was so shocked. Inside the toilet bowl was bright red water, better know as blood. Lots of it too, I was guessing by how long I had be throwing up.

"Mom!" I managed to say as loud as I could. I heard heavy footsteps coming up the staircase and into my room. When she found me in the bathroom gave one look at myself, and another to the toilet bowl and immediately got out her phone in a panic.

"Kenzie, go put on clean cloths and grab Daisy." She said, motioning to the bedroom. Daisy was the stuffed polar bear I slept with. I couldn't go a single night without it. Mom then rushed backdown the stairs in a frantic hurry.

"Greg," I could hear her say on the phone, "I'm taking Mackenzie to the hospital. Something is really wrong, I've never seen a child this sick before."

At the hospital the person at the front desk took one look at me, and in instant I had been brought to a room and was surrounded by dozens of doctors. I was poked, and prodded until I was almost positive they had taken so much blood I was flat as a pancake.

"Mrs. Ziegler?" Said a doctor, as he entered the room we were in. Mom stood up quickly from where I was sure she had almost dozed off in the chair next to the bed I was in.

"Yes?" She replied.

"Can I do a quick examination of Mackenzie to confer if we really need this last test?"

"Anything you need to do." She said. The doctor approached my and laid the hospital bed flat. I put his icy, cold, hands on my neck and rubbed softly before writing something down on his clipboard. He then flipped me onto my stomach and undid the bows of my hospital gown. As he moved the edges of the gown to the sides of my body I heard my mom gasp horrifically.

"Kenzie!" She exclaimed, "What did you do?"

"What do you mean?" I replied, switching to the other side of my face in order to see her.

"Mackenzie, did you fall on your back recently?" The doctor asked, tracing his fingers along my bareback.

"Why?" I asked, for I didn't even know what was so wrong. I listened to Mom snap a photo on her phone and put it up to my face. I held my breath as I looked at the photo. You couldn't even see my back because covering it completely was a ginormous purple, green, and yellow mark. It was honestly the biggest bruise I think I've ever seen in my life.

"Well," I replied, after contemplating what could've happened to me to cause this huge bruise. "A couple of nights ago I fell out of bed and landed on my back, but it didn't even hurt that much."

"Mrs. Ziegler, I think we're gonna do a bone marrow bone marrow biopsy on Mackenzie."

The next thing I knew, I was lying on my side, having more needles poked into me. The were taking some bone marrow from my hip bone to test for one more thing, but I wasn't sure of what it was because they wouldn't tell us until they knew for sure.

An hour later, the results from my biopsy were back.

"Mackenzie," the nurse said, holding a clipboard with an extremely sad expression on her face. "I'm afraid you have Acute Leukemia, and there's not much we can do at this point to cure it."

Eight votes to continue!