Seven

Chapter 7
Maddie's POV

"Maddie, let's go!" Yelled my mom from downstairs.

"Coming!" I yelled back at her. We were headed to the hospital to see Kendall. She had just had her surgery a few days ago, so I really wanted to see her.

As we walked through the glass sliding doors into the hospital my mom stopped and turned to face me.

"Are you sure you want to see her?" Asked my mom.

"Yes, why wouldn't I?"

"Because Kendall isn't herself. She's not handling the surgery well, and I don't want the state she's in to upset you even more than this whole scenario has."

"I'm fine." I stated remembering my new rule; no more emotion=no more pain.

As I opened the door to Kendall's room all I could see was machines, she was barley visible. I closed the door behind me because I was the only one in the room besides her, just as I had requested. I made my way through the maze of beeping contraptions to find Kendall. She seemed lifeless. She had a breathing tube in and had a piece of sanitary plastic over a giant whole in her chest. Coming out of the plastic were tubes. The tubes had blood growing through them when led to a giant machine with spinning wheels and other things which I had know I idea what they were. Kendall's chest wasn't rising and falling like it normally would and all the joy she normally had present in her face seemed to have vanished. Somehow I managed to look past the state she was in and focus on what I had come to see her for.

I reached into my pocket and pulled out a little pink pin that what a bow on it with a rhinestone heart in the middle. Instead of pinning it to her gown I said,

"Now Kendall, this is a death pin. My death pin. When I die I want you to pin it on me. I already put one on Kenzie. This way, when all of us die one day we will all be able to go to the same place and find each other there. I never want to be separated from my true family and with these we won't."

Outsiders POV

It was only two days later in the ICU that Kendall was struggling for breath. She had been taken off of the bypass machine a day after Maddie had spoken to her. Now, she knew why Maddie had the pins, which she placed one with a note on Kendall's bedside table for when she woke up, because Maddie would be the last one left.

Kendall was pronounced dead at 6:28 p.m. that very night. She had been struggling for breath for a long time and eventually her heart just stopped. When Maddie heard this news she didn't even flinch, remember-no emotion equals no pain.