Seventeen

Chapter 17
Nia's POV

"How you doin' Nia?" Asked the nurse before me. She had short brown hair in the style of a pixie cut and her name tag read Marie.

"I'm doing alright." I replied, looking down.

"You sure?"

"I don't know." I answered more honestly this time. "It's been hard. Not with the physical aspect of it, but with the emotional part. People don't see me as normal anymore. They all feel the need to stare."

"I understand it can be difficult." She said sympathetically. "It's just something you're gonna have to learn to live with."

I signed in reply, leaving an awkward silence between the two of us which seemed to fill the entire room.

"Anyways," the nurse finally spoke, breaking the silence. "Let's have a look."

I bent over from where I sat on the doctor's table with the crinkly paper and rolled up one of the loose pant legs. I puckered my face when I saw it, well half of it. One of my two legs was no longer a leg, but instead just a femur bone with no knee or shin or calf attached to the bottom of it.

Flashback

"Nia?" A voice spoke. I had to put all my effort into opening my eyes, for they seemed as heavy as two tons. I saw my mom's eyes looking into mine, only something was different about them this time. They were not sparkling with hope as they usually are, but instead now dull and filled with sorrow.

"Hi." I whispered. I watched her smile back at me meekly, her smile not nearly as wide as usual. "Where am I?" I asked her.

"Everything is okay." She said. "You were in a car crash with the rest of the girls. The doctors had to amputate your lower left leg because of the damage."

Despite the shocking news, I tossed the thought of my leg out of my head, and focused on what was more important at the minute.

"Where's everyone else?" I questioned. "The girls, where are they? Do they know what happened? Do they know about my leg? Are they hurt too? Please tell me they're not hurt! Please! Please!" I was screaming now. My thoughts racing faster than I could even comprehend.

"Nia! Nia!" My mom yelled back. My breathing was faster, my heart now racing too, tears running down my face. "NIA!" She screamed. I drew silent. "You are fine. We can worry about everyone else later. The important thing is that you're alive! Be grateful you are alive because not everyone is!"

"What?" I whispered under my breath. My mom pulled away from me slowly, shocked at what she had said but did not mean to. "Who's dead?" I said, a little louder. She did not answer me. "Who is dead!" I said again, articulating my words more profoundly. She still did not answer me. "WHO IS DEAD?!" I screamed at the top of my lungs. My face was now burning hot with fury and my tears were not helping to cool my face down. I screamed the words again, and again, and again. And the only thing she did was pull further and further away from me. My screams, now muffled by my sobs, were not drawing her any closer to me. "MOM!" I yelled like bloody murder. All she did was turn around, and walk out the door, leaving me shaking, screaming, and crying alone in my room. Alone. Alone. Alone.

End of Flashback

Little did I know how alone I would now be. Alone, caught up in my own head, my own thoughts, my own dreams, my own nightmares.

Sorry it took so long to update! But I did! Anyways, 3 comments, 10 votes to continue!