34: Acceptance

For a moment, there was silence as Y/N, Harry, Ron, Ginny and Lockhart stood in the doorway, covered in muck and slime and (in Harry and Y/N's case) blood. Then there was a scream.

"Ginny!"

It was Mrs Weasley, who had been sitting crying in front of the fire. She leapt to her feet, closely followed by Mr Weasley, and both of them flung themselves on their daughter.

Y/N and Harry, however, were both looking past them. Professor Dumbledore was standing by the mantlepiece, beaming, next to Professor McGonagall, who was taking great, steadying gasps, clutching her chest. Fawkes went whooshing past Y/N's ear and settled on Dumbledore's shoulder, just as Harry and Ron were swept into Mrs Wesley's tight embrace.

"You saved her! You saved her! How did you do it?"

"I think we'd all like to know that," said Professor McGonagall weakly.

Any explanation, however, would apparently have to wait, as Mr Weasley had launched himself in the general direction of Y/N and slammed his fist into his face, sending the boy toppling to the ground, and causing the sword to fly from his grip, and clatter onto the ground.

"Mr Weasley!" shrieked Professor McGonagall.

Ron lunged in and wrapped his arms around his father, holding him back, it was difficult, but manageable thanks to his tall stature, as well as Harry helping out. Mr Weasley was thrashing and screaming at Y/N.

"So you thought you'd take my daughter?!" he screamed, looking quite demented, his face red with rage and tears spilling from his eyes. "Hasn't your family done enough to mine? You thought you'd live up to the filthy reputation of your mother did you? You disgusting scum!"

Y/N slowly rose to his feet wiping his bleeding mouth. "Don't hit me." he spat.

"Mr Weasley, calm yourself!" shouted McGonagall furiously. "You could get arrested for this!"

"That monster should be killed!" Mr Weasley shouted, still struggling to break out Ron and Harry's grip. "I'll kill him myself!"

"Dad, stop!" screamed Ginny, her already stained cheeks flooding with tears. "It's not what you think!"

"Petrificus Totalus." Dumbledore chanted calmly, and Mr Weasley was stiff as a board. "I'll be easy on you, Arthur." he said, somewhat cooly. "Nothing gives you the right to lay a finger on my students. Nothing."

"Are you okay?" said Harry to Y/N. He nodded.

Mrs Weasley was also crying, she hugged her daughter closer to her.

"What was that about?" Y/N demanded coldly. "Why did he think I took her?"

"I believe we should hear the whole story." said Dumbledore, sternly bit not unkindly. "I shall answer your questions after you have confessed."

Y/N tsked in annoyance, then picked up the sword off the ground, and placed it onto the desk, Harry followed suit, and laid down what remained of Riddle's diary.

With a wave of his wand, Dumbledore set Mr Weasley free.

"You should tell them," Y/N said to Harry. "They'll believe you over me."

So Harry told them everything. For nearly a quarter of an hour he spoke into the rapt silence: he told them about hearing the disembodied voice, how Hermione had finally realised her was hearing a Basilisk in the pipes; how th three of them had followed the spiders into the Forest, that Aragog had told them where the last victim of the Basilsik had died; how Y/N guessed that Moaning Myrtle had been the victim, and that the entrance to the Chamber of Secrets might be in her bathroom, how Y/N had already run off and was framed for being the one who took Ginny...